PDA

View Full Version : Question about www.usaphotonation.com

ktixx
11-16-2004, 08:41 AM
I have heavily researched information on the Canon 20d
www.usaphotonation.com has it listed for $975.00. I am well aware that this is most likely a gray market camera however, each time that I called (and spoke to different people) they have told me that the camera comes with a US warrenty, camera straps, manual, and all cables. The only thing it doesn't come with is the battery and charger. I was wondering if anyone has information on this site, such as ratings, or personal experience. Thank you for any help you can give.
Ken

PixChick
11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I have heavily researched information on the Canon 20d
www.usaphotonation.com has it listed for $975.00. I am well aware that this is most likely a gray market camera however, each time that I called (and spoke to different people) they have told me that the camera comes with a US warrenty, camera straps, manual, and all cables. The only thing it doesn't come with is the battery and charger. I was wondering if anyone has information on this site, such as ratings, or personal experience. Thank you for any help you can give.
Ken

There is already at least one other thread about USA photo nation:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72

when in doubt, you can also check www.resellerratings.com for info about online vendors.

PixChick

ktixx
11-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Thank you. While waiting for a reply I did more research on USA photo nation and found out what an awfull company it is. I have found another retailer which cnet and other rating companies say is pretty dependable and all in all it will only cost an additional 250 dollars for a US Package with a US warenty. I apprecite the response
Ken.

Mario11779
11-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Can you please post the name of the retailer that you used and if your experience has been a good one. Thanks and happy holidays!

rummel@hawaii.edu
11-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Donít buy from USAphotonation.com. It is a bait and switch operation. In my case they advertised a new Nikon 8080 on their website at an unbeatable low price. So, I ordered it on their website, along with some accessories. Soon after I got a phone call from their salesmen saying he needed my security code. After I gave it to him, he lied and mislead me into changing or adding to the accessories (I even hung up on him and he called back immediately). Moreover, I am partially deaf and had difficulty understanding some of what he said (this is why I buy online).

When the goods arrived, they did not include a $299 flashcard I ordered. Moreover, I soon found out that most of the accessories I had bought, thanks to the salesmen, did not fit my camera, or were otherwise undesirable.

So, I sent the company an email about the missing flashcard, and received a response saying I should contact them by phone (the only company on the internet that has responded in this way to an email). Explaining that I was hard of hearing, and realizing the trouble I had before with a salesmen, I sent them an additional email explaining this and noting also that I wanted to return most of the accessories. No response. Sent a warning. No response. Sent a final email, just to be sure. No response.

In the meantime, in spite of my hearing difficulty, I finally tried to call them, but the phone was either busy, or when I got through, I got a message to leave a message, which I did. No return call.

I have ended up without a $300 flash card I ordered and about $600 worth of useless or undesirable accessories.

So, I have contested their credit card charge with my bank.

FrodoJames
12-21-2004, 06:37 PM
:( USA PhotoNation.com is really a bait and switch scam. After offering a very good price on a Canon 20D with a 17-85 lens kit, USAPhotoNation shipped a 18-55 lens kit instead and refused to take the camera back without a $400 restocking fee, even though the unopened camera kit box stated on the outside what was in the package.

This is now in dispute resolution with the credit card company. In addition, the personnel are extremely rude -to the point of calling the customer a liar.

ReF
12-21-2004, 09:32 PM
frodo and rummel: you guys or gals should really read on ratings before buying from questionable sites, but whats done is done. in a "similar" situation, (really not that similar) where a home was being bought, an advance payment to the homeowner's association was required; the seller(crooked scum) recieved the payment from the buyer and payed for her own monthly payment instead and split by the time this issue was discovered. well now the homeowner's association wanted payment for that one month which was stolen. the association(also crooked scum) knew the check was made out by the buyer and not the seller, but still demanded payment saying that it is not their problem. after months of back and forth with no end in sight the BBB (better business bureau) was contacted and the issue was resolved (payment was no longer required since the check was under the buyer's name) in no time. So maybe you all should contact the BBB since that is their business, while the credit card companies' business is soley making money.
hey, there's even a chance that the BBB will take some kind of serious action against good for nothing companies like photonation. i really don't know why losers like them think they can get away with charging you for one thing and shipping you something cheaper.

ReF
12-21-2004, 09:34 PM
frodo and rummel: you guys or gals should really read on ratings before buying from questionable sites, but whats done is done. in a "similar" situation, (really not that similar) where a home was being bought, an advance payment to the homeowner's association was required; the seller(crooked scum) recieved the payment from the buyer and payed for her own monthly payment instead and split by the time this issue was discovered. well now the homeowner's association wanted payment for that one month which was stolen. the association(also crooked scum) knew the check was made out by the buyer and not the seller, but still demanded payment saying that it is not their problem. after months of back and forth with no end in sight the BBB (better business bureau) was contacted and the issue was resolved (payment was no longer required since the check was under the buyer's name) in no time. So maybe you all should contact the BBB since that is their business, while the credit card companies' business is soley making money.
hey, there's even a chance that the BBB will take some kind of serious action against good for nothing companies like photonation. i really don't know why losers like them think they can get away with charging you for one thing and shipping you something cheaper.

ReF
12-21-2004, 09:39 PM
what the heck? why did was my reply posted twice? if it's gone later on, please ignore this post.

Reproman
12-31-2004, 09:43 AM
The BBB is a paper tiger. The dealer just ignores the complaint and nothing will be done. :mad:

Your best protection is to only use the American Express Card when dealing online or any major purchase. If you have an issue they back you up immediately and you get full credit. Within 30 days if the dealer ignores the complaint or has a weak explanation, you win, no more issues. :D

I have had to actually cancel other credit cards as they are slow to respond and your complaint never gets rectified. One even stated that an incorrect reoccuring charge may not even be stopped if I changed my card number! :eek:

Save the gift cards for local purchases as that money cannot be stopped -- its gone when spent! :(

Steamer551
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
UsaPhotoNation.com is a pure bait and switch company. They have no intensions of selling you a product for the quoted price. They use high pressure tactics, and will lie about what you need. They are the rudest people that I ever encountered. I attempted to buy a Olympus sp350 camera from them online. I received an e-mail telling me that I had to call them about the order. When I did the salesman (Thomas) said that they needed the security code on my credit card before thay could fill the order. He then tried to sell me every accessory at double the retail price. He contimued to lie about the product (He said that the lens that came with the camera would give me blurry pictures, and wouldn't work without an adapter ring, or special rechargable batteries. and that the camera that I had ordered was the european model.) After 15 minutes of saying no, and realizing that I wasn't some patsy, he said that He was going to cancel the order. I was glad that he did, I wouldn't trust them again. I also found out on other web sites that the owner Max Zalta owns other scam companys. Including - rainbowtronics, radioactive, mz distributors. so be aware or be sorry. I purchased the Camera at biydig.com for $10.00 more with free shipping. It arrived 4 days later without problems. buydig is an Excellent company to do business with.

26limerick
06-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Whoa, I have been looking to buy a Sony and just found the usphotonation. The site I was on had given it great ratings and the price was terrific. I am so glad that I saw the comments. You folks saved me some major headaches:)