PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for photography in Egypt?

Tyson_AUS
08-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone have some good tips for taking photos in Egypt. I intend on using the photos for medium sizes in magazine/book prints.

I am using a Panasonic FZ7, advice for general tips when taking photos in the desert are greatly appreciated.

UV Filters / Polarizers / Neutral density ?

Also, what to watch out for like sand damaging the camera.

Thank you very much

Edit: Will Smog or Haze be a problem ?

Unholymoondog
09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Sorry no photography tips, but be very careful what you eat !!!
I have had a couple of friends catch hepatitis while in Egypt and they were very sick for several months :( It is real nasty !!!

Apologies for being off topic, but if it keeps you well it is worth it. :D

dotbalm
09-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Not to make this the travel illness thread...it's a risk of travel, but I've been deathly ill in Mexico due to bottled, poorly refrigerated (and unpasteurized?) orange juice and also in Istanbul due to what I think was unclean lettuce (the bug in my then-girlfriend's lettuce should have been my tip, we had the same dish). Our pediatrician says there is a new Hep B vaccine (B?) that he recommended for those in our state who eat out a lot, given that most of the food here is prepared by immigrants who are bringing it from their homeland.

Uh, keep the camel spit off your lens. That's my tip.

Good luck, Egypt should be an incredibly great trip, I would love to see your photos, please share some. Stay healthy.

downtrodden
09-10-2006, 10:43 PM
hey.. sand blows around a lot there.. so definitely get a UV filter so you can protect your lens. I'd rather scratch up a 30 dollar filter than a camera lens. I'd say those film LCD protectors would be advantageous too!

And to repeat what the other said- WATCH WHAT YOU EAT!

nthezulu
09-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Just one anecdotal tip.

If you can develop your photos yourself in a darkroom, do so.

I shot a roll of film of the pyramids at Giza, and the lab botched the developing such that none came out!

On the plus side, it just means I have an excuse to go back there again someday.

Also, the standard don't visit any sites in a group. Best to go crack of dawn or near closing so that all great unwashed are not dawdling around getting in your way and generally spoiling your shots (I'm such a cheery traveller me).

Oh and one last thing, enjoy!!

Rhys
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Since security is now x-raying everything, film is now pretty much unusable unless it's bought in the country and developed in the country without going through internal flights etc.

As far as food poisoning etc is concerned, as soon as you feel ill maybe you could take some carbon tablets. They're pretty efficient at soaking up the bad stuff. I tried loads of remedies and found this is the one that really works for me. Bonus is - it's not a drug so you don't need prescriptions and you can carry it through security.

Polarizers would be usedful as would a lens hood.

dotbalm
09-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I am not a doctor (though I do play one on daytime TV...:D ), but a well traveled friend ingests local yogurt when he enters a new country, particularly less well developed countries.

The idea is if you can get yogurt with active lactobacilli cultures that, when introduced to your GI tract, it can be a benefit by inhibiting the growth of the illness causing bacteria. I did a quick double-check and found this advice confirmed on health and backpacking sites. I understand that yogurt drinks, refreshing and popular in the middle east, are not a good source since they can be contaminated, putting the cart before the horse and raising the risk in general. *As always, check with a real doctor.*