PDA

View Full Version : battery life

meech
11-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi All, this is my first post here.
Do the custom batteries last as long as the AA batteries. I'm referring to the # of charges before the battery dies, not how many pictures can be taken per charge.
Thanks in advance.
Dom

11-15-2004, 06:46 PM
What do u mena by custom batteries ? batteries you made at home ?

When you say AA batteries, do u mean normal Alkaline batteries, Litium batteries, NiCD rechargeable batteries or NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Also, all NiMH batteries do not last the same ammount of the time in different cameras. The same way all Li-on batteries don't last as long in all cameras.

Terracotta
11-16-2004, 03:29 AM
Different cell configurations will have different cycle lives, however you're talkin' about charging life in the thousands of cycles (full charge and discharge), so the difference will be negligible. The and proprietary batteries, such as the Nikon ENL3, will last longer than 4 AA cells.

Do the custom batteries last as long as the AA batteries. I'm referring to the # of charges before the battery dies, not how many pictures can be taken per charge.
Thanks in advance.
Dom

haikai
11-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks in advance.
Dom

i assume you're talking about the proprietary lithium ion battery packs. according to my canon g6 manual, its included battery is good for about 300 cycle charges. i find myself recharging about every 3 weeks or so, so if that figure is accurate i will probably have upgraded to another camera way before this thing dies on me. this is actually my first digital camera using a battery pack so i have no idea if such claims are accurate, and i dunno if it's the same for other battery packs out there.

hai

Jim Last
11-20-2004, 08:47 AM
i assume you're talking about the proprietary lithium ion battery packs. according to my canon g6 manual, its included battery is good for about 300 cycle charges. i find myself recharging about every 3 weeks or so, so if that figure is accurate i will probably have upgraded to another camera way before this thing dies on me. this is actually my first digital camera using a battery pack so i have no idea if such claims are accurate, and i dunno if it's the same for other battery packs out there.

hai

I doubt if many have ever gone out to 'kill' a battery and keep count of the days, months, years before it happened :)

Terracotta
11-20-2004, 12:42 PM

hai

I doubt it'll die after 300 cycles, you probably get a measurable difference between a fresh one and a 300 cycle old one. The number of cycles to kill the battery will be way higher than the 300, that might be you to 95% or 90% available charge.

EDIT: Thinking about it, my old R600 had a Lithium Ion battery rated for 500 charges, I charged it about twice every work day that makes about I had to replace the cells after 2 years or so due to life degradation (life had dropped to 80%), that's about 900 charge cycles.