PDA

View Full Version : How big is it?

Rhys
08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Ok. That should have grabbed everybody's attention. How big is the Olympus and its lenses?

I'm thinking about the new carry-on regime at British airports. Realistically, size makes no difference to security as all bags should be examined for bombs etc. It's just a measure that makes the government look as though it's doing something. But it's a measure we have to humour for the moment.

I was wondering about the possibility of fitting some decent lenses, a body, flash and a Fujitsu laptop in a protective bag inside the space allotted of 45cm x 35cm x 16cm (about 17.7in x 13.7in x 6.2in).

I see that Olympus has some nice lenses. Some are quite fast but most are fairly mediocre:

Fisheye
- 8mm f3.5 Fisheye
Ultra Wide Angle
- 7-14mm f4.0 Zoom
Macro
- 35mm f3.5 Macro
- 50mm f2.0 Macro
Standard Zoom
- 11-22mm f2.8/3.5 Wide
- 14-45mm f3.5/5.6
- 14-54mm f2.8/3.5
Tele Zoom
- 35-100mm f2.0 PRO ED
- 40-150mm f3.5/4.5
- 50-200mm f2.8/3.5
- 90-250mm f2.8 PRO ED
Ultra Zoom
- 18-180mm f3.5/6.3 Zoom
Telephoto
- 150mm f2.0 Telephoto
- 300mm f2.8 Super Telephoto
Teleconversion
- EC14 1.4x Teleconverter Lens

Obviously I'd have to specify which lenses I'd be using but my standard seems to be 3 zoom lenses: wide, normal and long. With my XT I have 17-35, 28-75 and 70-300. I rather fancy that I'd be better (with the Olympus, assuming 1.5 crop) with 11-22, 35-100 and 90-250. Although if I was doing wedding photos I'd imagine that I'd end up with 14-54 and 50-200 with the 14-54 being the most used. For landscapes I tend to prefer my 17-35 on my XT but I can see an argument for the 7-14.

So... I have specified 2 kits:
first kit 11-22, 35-100, 90-25 with an E500 and a FL-36
second kit 7-14, 14-54, 50-200 with an E500 and a FL-50.

Now those would be combined with the Fujitsu Lifebook laptop and carried in a single bag or perhaps with an older 12" iBook.

Would any of that fit inside the new carry-on requirement? I'm not thinking of changing to Olympus - just working out what's possible and what's not.

kgosden
08-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Rhys,

I don't have all the lenses so it would be tough to guess. However, the Olympus is a 2x crop, so that might adjust your selection a bit. Your 11-250 kit will be 22-500, and your second will end up 14-400. In general the Olympus bodies are about average DSLR size. The E-300/330 with the non-pentaprism vewfinder might be similar volume, but the shape might fit smaller spaces better. The lenses tend to be a bit smaller than similar APS/full frame versions. And there are the new Sigmas coming out in the next few weeks that might help adjust your potential kit.

JPW2020
08-23-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm thinking about the new carry-on regime at British airports. Realistically, size makes no difference to security as all bags should be examined for bombs etc. It's just a measure that makes the government look as though it's doing something. But it's a measure we have to humour for the moment.

I was wondering about the possibility of fitting some decent lenses, a body, flash and a Fujitsu laptop in a protective bag inside the space allotted of 45cm x 35cm x 16cm (about 17.7in x 13.7in x 6.2in)......

I'm not thinking of changing to Olympus - just working out what's possible and what's not.

Well I'm flying out of Gatwick tomorrow and have been packing my S2 TZ1 and associated chargers plus other bits & pieces.I have used my Laptop case and its a damn tight squeeze.The problem is the 16cm depth.Even when I take the S2 out of its usual bag and lay it flat you add in the width of the case itself and it is right on the limit.I dont know how the Olympus would compare size wise but it must be bigger than the S2.I think any DSLR and accessories will be struggling to fit unless you get a thinner bag which is risky in terms of accidental impact.I will report back on my return if there are any problems.

Rhys
08-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Well I'm flying out of Gatwick tomorrow and have been packing my S2 TZ1 and associated chargers plus other bits & pieces.I have used my Laptop case and its a damn tight squeeze.The problem is the 16cm depth.Even when I take the S2 out of its usual bag and lay it flat you add in the width of the case itself and it is right on the limit.I dont know how the Olympus would compare size wise but it must be bigger than the S2.I think any DSLR and accessories will be struggling to fit unless you get a thinner bag which is risky in terms of accidental impact.I will report back on my return if there are any problems.

Did you manage to put a laptop in too?

I was thinking with the luggage restriction of looking at some of the Jessops hard cases. I emailed them to find out how big they were and they said:
Jessops Cam Case 40 (cm) 30x21x10

Jessops Cam Case 50 (cm) 36.5x 30x13.5

Jessops Cam Case 60 (cm) 46x34.5x15.5

Jessops Cam Case 70 (cm) 50x39x17.5

Further information can be optained with the following links

http://www.jessops.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=10408

http://www.jessops.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=10407

http://www.jessops.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=10409

http://www.jessops.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=10404

The 60 looks interesting from a depth point of view. Unfortunately it is a single centimeter too wide. Gah! I emailed Jessops to ask if they'd consider asking their suppliers to produce one that fits all the given dimensions less half a centimeter (just in case the baggage sizer is warped).

JPW2020
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Did you manage to put a laptop in too?......

:( No way.Even if I had taken out all the periphals and just left the cameras (which includes my 11 yr old daughters venerable Olympus C220-trying to keep some Olympus content here),with the padding of the bag there simply isnt the room within a 16cm depth.

From what I've seen on the news bulletins at check-in they may test for size using a sytem not unlike Cinderella's glass slipper, i.e.by placing your bag in a container,if it fits I shall go to the ball if not....

Rhys
08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
:( No way.Even if I had taken out all the periphals and just left the cameras (which includes my 11 yr old daughters venerable Olympus C220-trying to keep some Olympus content here),with the padding of the bag there simply isnt the room within a 16cm depth.

From what I've seen on the news bulletins at check-in they may test for size using a sytem not unlike Cinderella's glass slipper, i.e.by placing your bag in a container,if it fits I shall go to the ball if not....

Yes. They have a box with a wooden insert that you must fit everything inside. Personally, if they refused to let my bag through I'd just refuse to fly and make them return my hold luggage. That'll cause them a ton of problems as they're not allowed to fly unaccompanied baggage.

In any case, I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to be using transatlantic ferries from now on. They don't cost much more and it's a relaxing 7 day getaway each way.

One of the things I'm wondering about is getting a hard briefcase/suitcase of the right dimensions and fitting padding. The trouble is that things are either a lot too small or a fraction too large.

JPW2020
09-02-2006, 02:37 PM

In fact at the last minute I abandoned the Laptop bag and used my daughters thin canvas bag she has for her guitar accessories i.e.foldable stand sheet music etc.It is similar height and width but crucially thinner because it is canvas.I was able to get the same kit in but with cameras in their usual bags for protection.Without the laptop padding it was noticably slimmer.It got thru Gatwick check-in but only just.The laptop bag would never have made it.