PDA

View Full Version : SLR controls?

Ben Miller
07-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Something I've been wondering about regarding dSLRs... Are shutter speed and aperture typically controlled using a knob on the body or ring on the lens, or do you have to push buttons, like with a typical prosumer? I've handled the Leica Digilux 2 and I really like having "manual" control of the manual controls, rather than pushing a button while watching an LCD.

jamison55
07-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Most DSLR's are built like their film brothers allowing you to change shutter and aperture using a wheel near the thumb along with the mode dial (and maybe 1 other button in full manual). It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but once you do it is easy to change settings on the fly. I upgraded to my DReb from a Pentax manual film SLR, and a Canon A80 digicam, and the DReb controls were easy enough to learn, and much easier to change than the A80. As far as I can tell, most manufacturers abandoned the f-stop ring on lenses about the time they went AF. The Leica is a throwback to those older days, and older cameras. Though I must admit I like the f-stop ring of the Leica, It's not worth $2000 to me...

D70FAN
07-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Something I've been wondering about regarding dSLRs... Are shutter speed and aperture typically controlled using a knob on the body or ring on the lens, or do you have to push buttons, like with a typical prosumer? I've handled the Leica Digilux 2 and I really like having "manual" control of the manual controls, rather than pushing a button while watching an LCD.

The D70 is similar, with a thumb wheel and a forefinger wheel to change all manner of settings on-the-fly. It takes about 1 day to get the hang of it. After that it's faster than fast. In aperture or shutter priority modes you just spin the wheel for your "perfect" setting. ISO change is just as fast and easy. In fact all of the controls are exactly where you need them.

Ben Miller
07-22-2004, 11:01 AM
My Olympus C-5060 has a control wheel which works in a similar way. It's a good system, although still not quite as positive as turning a dedicated dial with the numbers printed right on it.

I haven't had my hands on an SLR newer than my dad's 1970-something Nikon, and I was curious how they do things these days! :p Thank you both for your comments.

Dave Clark
07-27-2004, 03:52 AM
"while watching a lcd" You need not worry about watching a lcd with a slr. You only use the lcd for reviewing your work and changing a few controls. Most of the action is in the view finder!

D70FAN
08-01-2004, 08:35 AM
My Olympus C-5060 has a control wheel which works in a similar way. It's a good system, although still not quite as positive as turning a dedicated dial with the numbers printed right on it.

I haven't had my hands on an SLR newer than my dad's 1970-something Nikon, and I was curious how they do things these days! :p Thank you both for your comments.

dSLR's work about the same way as fSLR's, but with many features that film could not encompass, as you can adjust ISO, color, sharpness, and white balance, on the fly, and of course being able to instantly review the shot in detail. Also, saving the native image in RAW (NEF for Nikon) allows you to post process with control of the raw image, so it's like adjusting the actual camera settings, and taking the picture over again outside of the camera.

It's definately not your fathers Nikon.