View Full Version : Another Which Camera Should I Buy Thread

ThePixelSale
08-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Budget

I'm looking for something around $200

Size

Size is not a big issue but I don't want a huge camera

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
At least 6

What optical zoom will you need?
3x-4x is fine

How important is “image quality” to you?

Do you care for manual controls?
Not sure what that is

General Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?
Mainly shots of Scenery and people

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Probably quite a few indoor shots as well

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
No

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
No

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
No I'm open to anything

Thanks for all of your help

ben7337
08-20-2006, 08:41 AM
ohh thats tough. maybe the

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S500

However I am curious as to why you are getting a camera because if you would wait and save up to a larger budget you could get a much better camera.

or perhaps the Canon PowerShot A530 it is also a good camera.

ThePixelSale
08-20-2006, 09:49 AM
The reason I can't spend much more on it is because my Mom is getting it for me as a gift. She told me she wanted to spend about $200 but i'm sure she would be able to strech that a little. I was looking around after I posted and I found the Canon A620 for $230. Would that be a decent camera for me?

ben7337
08-20-2006, 10:07 AM
yes the A620 is a very good camera. you can get it for $220 on amazon.com or j&r music world I think so consider those. I think amazon has free shipping over $25 maybe? just keep in minde you still need batteries and a chrger for AA cameras. the ones that come with the canon will not last long. I would recommend 2650 mAh duracell batteries available at walmart or if you do not mind being anable to recharge the batteries lithium AA batteries last extremely long in cameras or so I have heard. and you will also want a decent sized memory card. of course this stuff can wait mostly until you have a trip or something.

Price: $214.99 FREE SHIPPING

oh amazon is even cheaper now. lucky you.

$199.00 New
Comments: **BRAND NEW** NOT A REFURB. Factory Sealed Box! Seller: firstamazon
Rating:96% positive ratings over the past twelve months (672 ratings).
Seller has 672 lifetime ratings. In Stock.
Ships from NV, United States
See shipping rates

that might save even more money if your mom does not mind buying from amazon sellers.

ThePixelSale
08-20-2006, 01:10 PM
I was actually looking at Newegg.com and they will throw in a free 512Mb card if I buy the camera there. So do you think I should get the free card or free shipping and cheaper price? I'm guessing I should go with the cheaper price. Thanks for all your reccomendations, I really appreciate the help :D

ben7337
08-20-2006, 05:18 PM
yeah go with the cheaper price on amazon. actually you know what the price of the memory card makes up the $15 so unless you can spend $18+ S&H on a 1 gb card or more on a 2gb card you might want the newegg deal. assuming 512 MB is enough space. I am guessing you would get approx. 150-170 pictures at highest quality on a 1 gb card.