PDA

View Full Version : The Cheapest DSLR(UK)?

JPW2020
08-19-2006, 11:00 AM
As highlighted by Rex 914 in the Pentax Forum this SLR just gets cheaper and cheaper.Jessops were retailing it with Kit lens for 350 it is now 329.99 by some distance the best price I have seen for a U.K. DSLR and this is a store not internet.Still pricey compared to US perhaps but the next best deal would be the Nikon D50 typically 399.99 but 378 last time I looked on Amazon.Its tempting but will the price drop further?:confused:

Rhys
08-19-2006, 01:24 PM
As I predicted a couple of years ago - the price of Dslrs will drop to the price of a decent SLR.

I remember when the FM2 + 50mm lens was going for around five tons.

colonel
08-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Where did you see the ist DS2 + lens for 329 ?

I just bought the Samsung GX-1s with two lense kit (18-50 and 50-200) and gadget bag from Jessops for 399. They are selling out of these all over the place. I plan to upgrade to a Samsung or Pentax anti-shake body in a few years.

I had forgotted how much better the handling and picture quality was of an (D)SLR over a compact. It makes a massive difference.

The canon 350d is better quality, but it is 100 more with one less lense.

I think I got a bargain!:D

JPW2020
08-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Where did you see the ist DS2 + lens for 329 ?

I just bought the Samsung GX-1s with two lense kit (18-50 and 50-200) and gadget bag from Jessops for 399. They are selling out of these all over the place. I plan to upgrade to a Samsung or Pentax anti-shake body in a few years.

I had forgotted how much better the handling and picture quality was of an (D)SLR over a compact. It makes a massive difference.

The canon 350d is better quality, but it is 100 more with one less lense.

I think I got a bargain!:D

Advertised in the Jessops ad in the Daily Mail on Saturday.Seeing what you got for your money I agree,you did.Come September I will be looking to sell my S2 and go DSLR. The Pentax at this price looks very appealing but I am far from decided yet.

Phill D
08-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Yep Colonel looks like you got a hell of a bargain to me well done. Unfortunately as you said they were selling fast - there is no sign of the deal on the website now. Not even any Pentax or Samsung dslrs either. This was obviously a clearout for the new models.

colonel
08-23-2006, 03:11 AM
you should phone some Jessops shops, as the Samsung deal was never on the website, only in shops. Also, even if a shop near you doesn't have it, they can still order it in from another shop.

It is worth pointing out that the 329 deal is for the *ist DL2 (I think), not the *ist DS2. The main difference is that the DS has a pentaprism viewfinder (brighter) and the new 11 point focus system (aka. K110d and k100d).

The Samsung GX-1S is a clone of the *ist DS2 and therefore the same as the K110D and only different from the K100D in that it doesn't have anti-shake. (the Samsung GX-1L is a clone of the *ist DL2, but this is not on discount).

The Samsung cameras were introduced in Q1 2006 and are still considered current models by Samsung, so my guess is they will run for some time, together with a new clone of the K100D and of the forthcoming K10D (same as K100d but with 10 megapixels).

The K110 (same as *ist DS2), K100 and K10 will then form a more complete range for Pentax. Where previously it only had 2 very similar models against the canon and nikon range of at least 5 model DSLR's each.

The advantage of Pentax is that it does not skimp on user control. Even the cheapest Pentax DSLR allows you to modify practically every parameter. Canon and Nikon skip on funcitonality on the cheapest of their range.

Whilst the Canon 350D has better picture quality then the *ist DS2, it is only marginal and the bigger LCD screen, cheaper price and better handling of the Pentax led me to the Samsung option.

happy shopping!

JPW2020
08-23-2006, 09:19 AM
you should phone some Jessops shops, as the Samsung deal was never on the website, only in shops. Also, even if a shop near you doesn't have it, they can still order it in from another shop.

It is worth pointing out that the 329 deal is for the *ist DL2 (I think), not the *ist DS2. The main difference is that the DS has a pentaprism viewfinder (brighter) and the new 11 point focus system (aka. K110d and k100d).

The Samsung GX-1S is a clone of the *ist DS2 and therefore the same as the K110D and only different from the K100D in that it doesn't have anti-shake. (the Samsung GX-1L is a clone of the *ist DL2, but this is not on discount).

The Samsung cameras were introduced in Q1 2006 and are still considered current models by Samsung, so my guess is they will run for some time, together with a new clone of the K100D and of the forthcoming K10D (same as K100d but with 10 megapixels).

The K110 (same as *ist DS2), K100 and K10 will then form a more complete range for Pentax. Where previously it only had 2 very similar models against the canon and nikon range of at least 5 model DSLR's each.

The advantage of Pentax is that it does not skimp on user control. Even the cheapest Pentax DSLR allows you to modify practically every parameter. Canon and Nikon skip on funcitonality on the cheapest of their range.

Whilst the Canon 350D has better picture quality then the *ist DS2, it is only marginal and the bigger LCD screen, cheaper price and better handling of the Pentax led me to the Samsung option.

happy shopping!

:D I had a Pentax SLR many years ago which I lost in a burglary so I am keen to consider Pentax/Samsung again.It will be interesting to see what Jessops might be offering in Sept. when I start looking.

Once you start marketing an entry level DSLR at a particular price it will be difficult for them to put prices back up again.I guess the only issue might be availability.

jeisner
08-23-2006, 06:54 PM
The K110 (same as *ist DS2),

Sorry, not true.. The K110D has the same viewfinder as the DL not the DS(2)...

It also shares the improved focusing speed and IQ of the K100... Also has improved metering and JPEG quality..

colonel
08-24-2006, 03:10 AM
yes true. The K100D actually has the inferior DL pentamirror viewfinder. Which indicates that the K100 is actually the discount model with the K10 being the premium model.

Pentax has updated the K100 software from the DS to marginally improve a few things, but I believe its the same 11 point focus system hardware wise.

Interesting review of K100D in this weeks edition of Amateur Photo (UK) BTW

rgds

jeisner
08-24-2006, 04:07 AM
Pentax has updated the K100 software from the DS to marginally improve a few things, but I believe its the same 11 point focus system hardware wise.

Yes same 11 point system, but it definately has a motor similar to the D as the speed in my comparisons are spot on between the D and the K100d whereas my girlfriends DS is slightly slower... The K100D is also capable of locking on in lower light than either of my D or her DS...

Hopefully this is a vision of the future, and they don't slip on the next models...

colonel
08-24-2006, 04:49 AM
just looking at the spec. of the canon 400D I think Pentax has judged things correctly. The 400D does not have anti-shake, and I would take this over extra pixels any day.

Just hope Pentax get their marketing together ......