PDA

View Full Version : Auto focus problems

WightWalker
08-18-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't change lens that often - cautious of getting dust on the sensor.

I found that the camera just would not auto focus. Switched it off, then back on with no effect.

So I released the lens and rotated to disengage, than back to lock into position.

Everything was then OK.

I guess that with all the contacts around the throat of the lens/body, it's inevitable that sometimes something will malfunction now & then.

My *istDS is about 18 months old & shot about 15000 images.

jeisner
08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Take the lens off, clean the contacts on the lens mounts (both on the lens itself and the body)..

Rhys
08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Tandy in the UK used to sell something called Electro-clean. It was a Radio-shack product.

eduardofrances
08-18-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't change lens that often - cautious of getting dust on the sensor.

I found that the camera just would not auto focus. Switched it off, then back on with no effect.

So I released the lens and rotated to disengage, than back to lock into position.

Everything was then OK.

I guess that with all the contacts around the throat of the lens/body, it's inevitable that sometimes something will malfunction now & then.

My *istDS is about 18 months old & shot about 15000 images.

cleaning the contacts on your lens and the camera should do it, be careful, use a soft non wet cloth and softly clean the contacts, avoid dust at all cost (or it will get impregnated in the viewfinder or in the sensor)

WightWalker
08-20-2006, 04:34 AM
I made the assumption that it was probably a poor electrical contact.

Rotating the lens was obviously enough to re-seat the contacts.