PDA

View Full Version : D70 Only Shows 95% Of Image In Viewfinder?

Erland
07-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I read that the D70 only shows 95% of the image you're taking in the viewfinder. Is this really true? Is it like this for all digital SLRs?

Erland

Ray Schnoor
07-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Not only digital, but most film SLR cameras do not fully show the area being photographed through the viewfinder. At least you know that everything you see will be in the photo.

Ray.

Erland
07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
I find that a little strange. How can you compose a picture if you don't know what you're taking a photo of?

It's like you paint a painting of trees and someone else adds a little more around the edges.

Erland

Ray Schnoor
07-21-2004, 12:44 PM
I didn't say it wasn't strange, just a matter of fact. The below are just for Nikon and Canon digital cameras, but most film SLRs also have less than 100% coverage through the viewfinder.

100% coverage: Canon EOS 1DS, EOS 1D, Nikon D2H

~95% coverage: Canon 10D, Digital Rebel, Nikon D70, D100, D1X(96%)

D70FAN
07-21-2004, 10:13 PM
I find that a little strange. How can you compose a picture if you don't know what you're taking a photo of?

It's like you paint a painting of trees and someone else adds a little more around the edges.

Erland

I've never missed perimeter information on the D70 as I am generally aware of the coverage and mentally compensate for it. Once you get accustomed to making the adjustment it doesn't seem to matter. Sorry but, to me, your statement doesn't really make much sense.