PDA

View Full Version : DX7590 or Panasnic FZ20 ?

cantunes
11-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi, I've been looking these two models up, and I'm really inclined to get the FZ20 model, but being a DX6490 ex-user, I'm trying to find someone to talk me otherwise. please... make me believe! The specs "seem" to make the Panasonic better, but I had a great time with my Kodak... Anyone had experience with both these cameras?

Carlos

Frenchy
11-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Hi,

In fact the main difference in use between the two, seems that DX7590 reduces noise and so delails with a bit redframe, and the FZ20 produces bit more noise but takes more details with a bit barel distorsion and redeye...
Generally the FZ20 seems to have some better pic quality... but the price is not the same and the panasonic, at last, is very big...

The rest is in feasures you prefer...

Vincent.
My DX7590 gallery at:
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=10479

LStoner
11-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Hi. When I was looking into buying a camera I came down to these 2 choices as well. After handling both cameras in a store and taking test pictures, I decided to go with the Pan FZ20. I love it and have absolutely no buyer's remorse. The camera is amazing and I love the fact that it has Image Stabilization, something the Kodak doesn't. It's worth the extra bucks alone to have it. It really helps when you want to use the full zoom on the camera.

I also found the buttons to be very small on the Kodak. Compared to the Panasonic, the buttons seemed very toy like and not real comfortable to use. I like the buttons on the Pan much better.

If movie quality is an important issue for you than you might want to go with the Kodak. It has a 800x600 movie mode whereas the Pansonic is only 320x480 (I believe). This is a feature that I wanted to have too, but even though the movie quality is lesser than the Koday, it was still way better than the HP 935 that I previously owned. It was the only feature on the Pan that wasn't a standout feature to me, but for everything else you get it's worth it. You'll still get great movie clips. Besides, if it's movies you really want than a camcorder would be a better purchase.

It's all ultimately up to you, but I hope that this helps you out. It was people on this board that helped me to narrow down my choices and give me advice on these 2 cameras. I'm glad I can do the same for somebody else now.

Take care,
Lee Ann

P.S. See post regarding low light image stabilization. I posted a couple of pics there of what the Panasonic FZ20 can do.

John_Reed
11-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi, I've been looking these two models up, and I'm really inclined to get the FZ20 model, but being a DX6490 ex-user, I'm trying to find someone to talk me otherwise. please... make me believe! The specs "seem" to make the Panasonic better, but I had a great time with my Kodak... Anyone had experience with both these cameras?

CarlosIn http://www.dpreview.com's review of the FZ20, they show a detailed comparison of image quality between the FZ20 and the Kodak 7590 here. (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/page6.asp) It generally shows, in my opinion, that the FZ20's image quality is superior to the 7590's, but you be the judge.

msam
11-19-2004, 04:04 AM
Even though I believe that the FZ-20 is an excellent camera and you should go for it if you like everything else about it, you can take far better pictures with the DX7590 than what is shown in www.dpreview.com.

cantunes
11-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks a lot people. Your inputs have been excelent. I will probably decide in favour of the FZ20, but I'm still hooked on the price difference. Nomatica sells the Kodak at 381 against the Panasonic at 540. I'll have to give serious thought. With the difference, I can get myself some aditional material for the Kodak...

We'll see. Christmas is close.

Thanks
Carlos!