PDA

View Full Version : Need sharpest pics for under $500

SculptureCat
08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi,

I've gone through way too many cameras and not one has given me what I need. I need a point and shoot to take pictures of my sculptures. I don't use a tri-pod, so I need image stabalization. Zoom isn't important and size isn't important. I'd like 5+ MP. The most important thing I need is for the images to be really sharp, crisp, and in focus. I need to be able to see a lot of detail. I was thinking of getting the Canon S3, but all the reviews said the pictures were "soft". I'd also like to stay under $500. Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

undefined
08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
How well lit will your sculptures be? Indoors, outdoors, flash, no flash, scene lighting? This makes a large difference!

Also, have you considered getting a used DSLR (often available for under $500). This would most likely give you better clarity than many of the compacts out there, and the most possible control.

Let me just say - you do not need IS - it is not a miracle cure. You really should consider using a tripod, even if you buy a compact camera! No matter how stable your hands are or fancy technology such as IS, nothing is going to be more stable than using a tripod. Just a thought. Even without the tripod, the benefit of a DSLR come in here with high ISO performance. The higher the ISO speed, the faster the shutter speed can be. The faster the shutter speed, the lower the chance of camera shake affecting the image.

Just my random thoughts.

XaiLo
08-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Image provided by JTL Canon S3 IS

soft:confused:

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/84487971-L.jpg