PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Post-Processing this Photo

Rex914
08-16-2006, 12:19 AM
I usually have no trouble post-processing photos from my DC3400 (generally just a saturation boost + contrast + USM), but this one is leaving me scratching my head over how to tackle the color/white balance. I wish I had more photos to choose from, but I was getting 1/10 s shutter speeds, and this was the only one that didn't get killed by shake.

The photo is posted below in original form right out of the camera. No crops, noise reduction or any retouching have been done. It's a bit soft at 100%, but I downsize my photos to 800 x 533, so it'll be fine. As you can see, it has this nasty bluish cast that I can't seem to remove very easily.

http://gallery.gureporter.com/Misc/HelpMe.jpg

Norm in Fujino
08-16-2006, 03:41 AM
Here's one version:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Peregrinor/technical/HelpMe2a.jpg

This was a real quickie, but I used PSP 5.0, subjecting the photo to two rounds of RGB color adjustment at
R= 0
G= -11
B= -11
You might want to use even more reduction of those two channels till you get the result you like.

Then resized and sharpened.

coldrain
08-16-2006, 04:24 AM
First try just photoshops auto levels (after setting the image to 16 bit).

coldrain
08-16-2006, 04:29 AM
2nd try, in photoshops levels dialog selecting the white eye dropper, and choosing the whitest (lightest) part of the bread.

coldrain
08-16-2006, 04:33 AM
3rd try, taking the 2nd, selecting the meat roughly, then choosing a blue-ish part on the coffee cup with the levels white eye dropper.

MindBender
08-16-2006, 05:03 AM
The quick version of color correction. Wasn't sure how "corrected" you were talking about.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9567/roastsammichln2.jpg

Basically I did a combination of levels and curves to fine tune the color I wanted. Then I used an adjustment layer to remove most of the cyan (the bluish cast). Then I painted out some of the harshest blue highlights on the meat by hand with the paintbrush and some color on a separate layer and adjusted the blending modes (ended up with Hue at about 60% and a reddish brown color similar to the meat but more saturated).

Given more time I'm sure you could fine tune this a lot more, but that seemed to get the majority of it out. Resized for upload and applied a slight unsharp just to brighten detail from the resize.

Norm in Fujino
08-16-2006, 05:18 AM
Nice to know, isn't it, there are so many ways to get to the top of the mountain? :D

Bill Markwick
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I used Levels>White Point and the bread looks fine now. ;)

Regards,
Bill

Norm in Fujino
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I used Levels>White Point and the bread looks fine now. ;)

Oh Bill, BARF! Gag me with a spoon! How long has that meat been out of the refer?
:p

Rex914
08-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Just to set the record straight on what this scene *actually* looked like to begin with, the meat was medium with some tinges of pink. :D

I really like MindBender's corrected image (and coldrain's 3rd take is pretty good too) and ended up using that in my final framing though the meat has gone entirely to the medium-rare range which I would have preferred if they had it!