PDA

View Full Version : jagged edges

rmlibby
07-21-2004, 07:25 AM
This is my first attempt at asking questions in a forum so please bear with me.
My hobby is photo/video editing. I do it for family events (birthdays, weddings, etc.) and then send the results of my work on DVD to family and friends . Up until I purchased my latest digital camera, a fuji A210, I was very pleased with my efforts. The last event I took photos at I was surprised and confused as to why when the objects in the photos were viewed on my computer at a 33% size or smaller there was a "jagged appearance" around them. I used the highest setting on the camera, 3.2 mp. This problem goes away when I increase the viewing size to 75% or higher. I am using Adobe Photodeluxe Home Edition, version 4 for editing the photos ( I realize this is a dated application, but I have been using it for some time and am comforable with it.) and then I put the photos on a DVD using Pinncale Studio 8. The jagged effect is quite visible when viewed on the television. I am open to any and all suggestions. Please help.

rmlibby

Jake Conner
07-21-2004, 08:37 AM
That sounds like bad resampling more than a camera problem... new editing software (like Photoshop Elements 2, which is most of Photoshop 7's power in a beginner-friendly package) should fix it.

Jake

jaykinghorn
08-08-2004, 08:18 PM
rmlibby

The jagged edges you see at 33% and below are caused by the software displaying only a portion of the available pixels on the monitor. For a 33% zoom, the monitor can't display 1/3 of a pixel so it has to guess which ones to show and which to hide.

To minimize these jagged edges, view your images at 25%, 50% or 100%. Your edges should look just fine.

best regards,

Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging