PDA

View Full Version : Pentax RAW and Photoshop CS?

Chiro75
08-14-2006, 10:06 AM
What do I need to do in order to be able to open my Pentax RAW (PEF) files from my new *istDL in Photoshop CS? Do I need to buy the Camera Raw plugin from Adobe? I have CS, not CS2, and I am not interested in upgrading to CS2, FWIW. Thanks!

Chiro75
08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Oops, may have answered my own question. I found a Pentax RAW plug-in available for CS from the Pentax site. It is "for *istD" but I'm assuming it'll work for all Pentax cameras that shoot RAW. DL'ing it now and I'll report back to see if it works. Here is the link:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_software?softId=1

WightWalker
08-18-2006, 12:10 PM
The ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) v3-4 supports the *istDL and will provide conversion of PEF files.

In my personal experience, I've found it a tad cumbersome to use BUT it is capable of producing good results. It's just that when you've got over 100 images to process, it would take ages.

Having 'shelved' the Converter, Pentax PhotoLab, bundled with the camera software, & evaluated virtually ever piece of software to convert PEF files, I actually find PPL v2 (DL not supported - requires PPL v2-1) very good.

It replicates the colour. contrast of JPEG *** BUT with added sharpness.

colonel
08-20-2006, 02:45 AM
the pentax D plug-in does not appear to work for DS2/GX-1s cameras. The latest RAW plugin from the adobe site does, and additionally works for elements 3.0 and elements 4.0.

however I have not managed to get it to show thumbnails in browse, which is very disappointing. do I use digimax to browse, but the adobe import as it is the best to use.

rgds

colonel
08-20-2006, 10:31 AM
sry, my mistake. thumbnails now work fine in photoshop browser.

Chiro75
08-21-2006, 07:31 AM
I downloaded the plug-in I linked above, but it crashes whenever I try to use it. I've given up on it for the time being. I'll just shoot the camera's highest quality JPG for now and on the rare occasion that I use RAW, then I'll use Pentax's bundled software. Annoying.

colonel
08-21-2006, 03:40 PM
use the photoshop plugin. not the old pentax D one. it will work fine with elements 3 and 4 and cs

ellender44
05-08-2007, 11:42 PM
What do I need to do in order to be able to open my Pentax RAW (PEF) files from my new *istDL in Photoshop CS? Do I need to buy the Camera Raw plugin from Adobe? I have CS, not CS2, and I am not interested in upgrading to CS2, FWIW. Thanks! OR OTHER PROGRAMME

coldrain
05-09-2007, 03:03 AM
RAW formats keep changing with every new camera model. If your camera is newer than Photoshop CS2, Adobe's Camera RAW plug in version 2.x will not support it.
CS = Camera RAW v. 2.x
CS2 = Camera RAW v. 3.x
CS3 = Camera RAW v. 4.x

So... if your camera only is supported by Camera RAW v. 3.x, you will need CS2. If it is only supported by Camera RAW v. 4.x, you will need to get CS3.

Adobe wants to earn money, and changes Camera RAW plug-in compatibility for photoshop to make people upgrade to the newest version, and to deter illegal use of photoshop.