PDA

View Full Version : How to know the write/read speed on Scandisc CF card

hari
07-21-2004, 01:45 AM
I went to buy Scandisc Compact Flash card for my A75. I was told by the seller that the cards come as 4x, 8x, 12x etc... However, there is nothing mentioned on CF card and also on the box. How would I know

a) what speed it has - 4x, 8x or 12x
b) whether it is CF Type-I or CF-Type-2
c) A75 came with 32 MB CF card (High speed). What do you mean by High speed ?
d) Which CF card (4x, 8x or 12x) I should buy for my A75. Will my camera able to optimise the speed (12x) given the 12x cost double the 4x.

Any information please ...

Ray Schnoor
07-21-2004, 05:30 AM
Your A75 will not be able to take advantage of the speed advantages of the higher speed CF cards, so I would not pay the extra money for the 12x card. The A75 only accepts type 1 CF cards, so you will not want to get type 2. This should be listed on the card.

Sandisk is a good brand. With your camera, you would not be able to tell any difference in speed from the regular card and the high speed, so just buy the cheapest.

Ray.

scottyja
07-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Your A75 will not be able to take advantage of the speed advantages of the higher speed CF cards, so I would not pay the extra money for the 12x card. The A75 only accepts type 1 CF cards, so you will not want to get type 2. This should be listed on the card.

That's really interesting. I'm about to buy an A80 w/ a SanDisk Ultra II 256mb compact flash. Is this overkill? How would I know what speeds are being used? I'd hate to spend $50 on a card when it's performing the same way a $30 card is.

D70FAN
07-27-2004, 03:07 PM
That's really interesting. I'm about to buy an A80 w/ a SanDisk Ultra II 256mb compact flash. Is this overkill? How would I know what speeds are being used? I'd hate to spend $50 on a card when it's performing the same way a $30 card is.

Yes it is overkill for the camera. The only advantage is in the downloading process using a USB2.0 card reader, and a computer with USB 2.0 capability.

There are still very few cameras that can effectively use high speed flash. Mainly dSLR's, and maybe a couple of the high-end prosumer all-in-ones.

There is a list of cameras and tranfer speeds here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

boody
09-02-2004, 03:52 PM
I'm contemplating a Canon PS and I want to confirm I can buy any old CF reader and use it to browse and download pics, accessing it as a removable drive in windows explorer. I see hints of it in places but never explicitly mentioned. I want to confirm Canon isn't doing anything proprietary that would make it unreadable in that way.

TIA

D70FAN
09-02-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm contemplating a Canon PS and I want to confirm I can buy any old CF reader and use it to browse and download pics, accessing it as a removable drive in windows explorer. I see hints of it in places but never explicitly mentioned. I want to confirm Canon isn't doing anything proprietary that would make it unreadable in that way.

TIA

Should not be a problem. The nice thing about Compact Flash is that it has always had the controller built into the card. Canon, Nikon, et al are not doing anything that would prevent a card reader from functioning correctly.

Some older card readers and Windows 98/SE were twitchy, but I have never had a problem with any recent reader and Win 2K/XP.