PDA

View Full Version : making a photo dvd

cmyyard19
11-13-2004, 12:45 PM
I was hoping someone could help me out. I want to make a photo slide show to play with a dvd player. I read in various forums that I can use a standard cd burner and cd-rís to do this. I was woundering if there was a way I could make the cds in such a way that the pictures could be view and printed from a computer as well.

Rhys
11-13-2004, 02:46 PM
I made a photo CD (vCD) using one of the programs suppied with my DVD burner. I burned it in NTSC format so that it'd work with US DVD players. It worked just fine. I could not seem to read the vCD from my PC though.

It's not worth reading a vCD or vDVD though as TVs have a resolution of something like 720 x 620. Thus all images are downsized to fit this size. I played my S1 videos from vCD and they looked pretty good.

haikai
11-13-2004, 03:18 PM
I was hoping someone could help me out. I want to make a photo slide show to play with a dvd player. I read in various forums that I can use a standard cd burner and cd-rís to do this. I was woundering if there was a way I could make the cds in such a way that the pictures could be view and printed from a computer as well.

when you do burn to a vcd or dvd with images then i don't think there's any easy way to view and print them from a computer because the image files will be in a different file format from what the image viewer/printer is accustomed to...

an alternative: some dvd players actually allow you to view jpeg files anyway so you might want to check if your's can (if it doesn't, check online to see if there is perhaps some kind of firmware upgrade to enable doing so). of course, this might not give you the fancy options of adding music to your slideshow and all that, but it requires minimal effort and might be worth trying.

hai

cmyyard19
11-14-2004, 01:09 PM
When you make a photo dvd, how is the quality of the pictures? I used a program called Photo2DVD Studio 3 to make a slide show this morning; the first one I ever made. When I view it on my TV the overall quality was pretty terrible compared to the original pictures so I put it in the DVD player in my computer and the quality was even worse. Is it just me or does the quality diminish when they are made.

PixChick
11-16-2004, 07:37 PM
I use a software program by Sonic and it will make slide shows, videos, or combinations of slides and video. I haven't had any problem with the quality of the photos or video being worse than what I started with. I don't know about the issue of viewing and printing pics from the burned CD. I would think that probably wasn't possible since the format is different, but I have never tried it to see what I could do. I would think you would have to burn a "data CD/DVD" as opposed to a slide show to do the view and print.

PixChick:)

bluepeter 26
11-20-2004, 05:02 PM
I use software by Pro Show Gold. You need to play around with the options for quality of movie, but I find the TV quality very good, when written at the highest settings.
The software allows pan/zoom, etc - I think its pretty amazing.
You can view examples of shows on their website, or download a trail version, which will allow you to play and burn a DVD and try it on your particular DVD player.
http://www.photodex.com/

Pete

spuds
11-21-2004, 09:52 AM
I also use Proshow Gold and get rave reviews. You can 'chapter' your shows and place them to music... I find it very easy to use. You get the best quality when making an actual 'DVD' with a DVD burner.