PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion: really cheap *istDL or K100D?

Chiro75
08-10-2006, 06:25 AM
I just got online to check out prices on the latest crop of Pentax digital SLR's and was surprised to find a $100 rebate on the *istDL, which would make the body about $340 from a reputable dealer. Here's my question...

In your opinion, do you think I'd be better off spending $700 for the K100D with the stock lens, or should I get the DL for a song, use my existing lens for a while, acquire a more suitable lens as needed, etc?

I have a 28-70 Sigma autofocus lens (will it work as AF on the Pentax DSLR?) that I would probably try to use for a while, then get the digital 18-whatever as $$$ allow in a month or two. I guess the question is, for twice the price, is it worth it to get the K100 and lens?

As far as use, I love photography. Until now I have used my little Olympus point and shoot digital, but my main equipment is an ancient (but awesome) K1000 and a Mamiya 645E. I like the convenience of digital, and I like Pentax and have always been happy with the company. I shoot whatever catches my eye, but I'm more into non-human subjects, and I don't do much nature photography that would require a big zoom, etc.

Anyway, just looking for opinions! Thanks in advance!

pxpaulx
08-10-2006, 06:41 AM
previously i had a panasonic fz30, which had image stabilization - i could hand hold down to 1/10 a second if i was braced well. but, with useable iso800-1600, and faster available lenses (the panny was f2.8), i can get just as good or better than the prosumer equivalent with the image stabilization.

I picked up the DL w/kit lens for $367 after rebate (prices have gone up abit since then, but are still great!) lenses are cheap and available on ebay and several online retailers as well. i've bought a tamron 80-210 f3.5-5.6 for $43, pentax Manual K mount 50mm F2 for $20, vivitar 135mm f3.5 for $20 and vivitar 28mm f2.8 macro for $20 as well. they're all nice lenses, i love the older fixed primes!

i think you'd be very happy with the DL, it gets many great reviews and the price can't be beat. if the lens you have is an auto lens, the focus should work, the tamron i bought is auto and everything works with it as well. that being said, the kit lens gets many good reviews as well and you should consider getting it if its less than say $70 more than the body only. To me, the price is what prompted my upgrade, and i'm glad i did it! (incidentally the amount i got from selling the panasonic and accessories has actually paid for almost all of the equipment i've bought for the pentax, which was an added bonus!)

pentax is releasing a 10mp body sometime this year, i'm already thinking about it because my wife is always asking for the DL!

pxpaulx
08-10-2006, 06:42 AM
by the way, this forum is kinda dead when it comes to pentax; dpreview and steves forums are much busier so you may get more replies and helpful advice there as well.

Chiro75
08-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks. I couldn't contain my excitement and after I read Steve's review I went ahead and ordered it from B&H. Got the *istDL body, 1GB card and batteries + charger, including shipping, for $510. Then subtract the $100 rebate, that seems like a well-made purchase to me. I hate buying things, but I have been wanting a DSLR for over a year now, so now seemed like a good opportunity to reward myself. I would've liked the SR feature, but the price was too good to pass up on the DL. In a couple years everything will have SR, 10+ MP and cost half as much, so I'll do it all again then! :)

Rhys
08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
I played with a DL a few days ago. Let's just say that the AF sucked big time and the lack of a focussing aid in the viewfinder would have killed that purchase for me if I'd been looking to buy. I compared it with the Nikon D50 and an XT at the same time.

The DL failed completely to focus on anything.
The D50 took two AF activations to focus correctly. This is exactly the same as what happened with the XT in the same situation.

Rex914
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
This is exactly the same as what happened with the XT in the same situation.

A little off-topic, but have you given a 20D a try? I've heard time after time that people who had AF troubles with the XT saw them disappear or at least saw them mitigated quite a bit by moving up to the 20D/30D.

jeisner
08-11-2006, 06:08 AM
I would recommend the K100D, it has much faster AF than the DL and it has SR ;-)