PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 8800 noise from camera

Digital Dave
11-13-2004, 01:33 AM
I have a nikon 8800, when in any picture taking mode there is a distinct noise from the main body of the camera, is this normal or a fault. This is a replacement camera as the first one was the same, which has made me think it is not a fault. No other digital camera i've had made any kind of background noise apart from auto focusing.
Can anyone throw any light on this please

D70FAN
11-13-2004, 06:22 AM
I have a nikon 8800, when in any picture taking mode there is a distinct noise from the main body of the camera, is this normal or a fault. This is a replacement camera as the first one was the same, which has made me think it is not a fault. No other digital camera i've had made any kind of background noise apart from auto focusing.

While this may be normal, you might want to go to a couple of camera stores and see if the display models do the same thing. If so then it's probaly not a problem.

Also for future reference the 8800 is an all-in-one, not a dSLR.

Jeff Keller
11-13-2004, 09:40 AM

If I was a betting man, I'd say that you have full-time AF turned out, and you're hearing the camera trying to focus.

pasos
11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
I have the same camera and the same noise. Ithink could be a fan for the sensor in oirder to keep the picture "noise" low even after many shoots, since the heat increase it.

D70FAN
11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I have the same camera and the same noise. Ithink could be a fan for the sensor in oirder to keep the picture "noise" low even after many shoots, since the heat increase it.

Nope. No fans in the 8800 (or any DC I know of). The sensor generates very little heat. Most of the battery power is used for the LCD (and there is no fan there either).

I think Jeff is correct. Turn the continuous AF off, and see if the noise goes away.

pasos
11-16-2004, 02:15 PM
The noise goes away switching to the play mode only or obviously when the camera goes in battery saving mode.
You can ear it very well opening the battery door.
Is absolutely an electric noise similar to a low speed motor.
It's recorded by microphone too.
I'll directly ask to Nikon for an explanation.

Jeff Keller
11-16-2004, 04:18 PM
The noise goes away switching to the play mode only or obviously when the camera goes in battery saving mode.
You can ear it very well opening the battery door.
Is absolutely an electric noise similar to a low speed motor.
It's recorded by microphone too.
I'll directly ask to Nikon for an explanation.

Why hasn't anybody tried my suggestion? Go to Focus Settings and turn off Full-time AF or whatever Nikon calls it.

pasos
11-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Dear Jeff, that's the first thing I've tried even before your suggestion.
There is not connection between the two things.
Bye

pasos
11-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Dear all,
the last update I had on the noise issue is that is normal with VR lenses.
Does someone agree?
Guglielmo

RGZ
05-30-2005, 08:22 AM
I have the 8800 for few days and I very surprised when I heard for first time this strange noise coming from inside the camera. The noise sound like the noise you hear when you hear inside an ocean shell. I desabled any activity from the lens and the nois is still there. After reading yout comment I supouse it is a normal, still very strange, noise from the normal operation of the 8800. Did anyone knoe the reason for this strange "shhhhhhhhhh" noise?