PDA

View Full Version : aperture / shutter speed control...

marcin
08-07-2006, 05:48 PM
so, I am KINDA new at photography... took a class years and years ago but always have been interested.

I did a little catching up and understand fstop aperture iso white balance, and all that other stuff fairly well... my question is this:

when you guys take pics, do you mostly control aperture and let the camera pick the shutter speed

control the shutter speed and let the camera do the aperture

or do both yourself?

what would be best for most situations?

pagnamenta
08-07-2006, 06:05 PM
It really depends on your situation. If you want to set the aperature and not worry about shutter speed, use Av (aperature priority) mode. If you want to pick shutter speed and not worry about aperature, use Tv (shutter priority) mode.

Certain conditions call for setting both aperature and shutter speed. For that I use full manual mode, M. An example would be football, where if I use Av mode, the shutter speed is too slow and if I use Tv mode, the aperature is too low. So I use M to control both.

Hope that helps.

marcin
08-07-2006, 06:13 PM
It really depends on your situation. If you want to set the aperature and not worry about shutter speed, use Av (aperature priority) mode. If you want to pick shutter speed and not worry about aperature, use Tv (shutter priority) mode.

Certain conditions call for setting both aperature and shutter speed. For that I use full manual mode, M. An example would be football, where if I use Av mode, the shutter speed is too slow and if I use Tv mode, the aperature is too low. So I use M to control both.

Hope that helps.

basically each situation differs...

pagnamenta
08-07-2006, 07:15 PM
It also depends how knowledgable you are about your camera. You also need experience with certain situations to know exactly what you need to set.