PDA

View Full Version : 35mm SLR vs DSLR

rumplestiltskin
07-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Used to use a Minolta SRT 202 back in the pre-digital days. Loved the "match-up-the-needles-and-shoot" exposure method. With most of today's DSLRs, however, it appears that the aperture ring and the shutter speed dial have been abandoned.

I see that the Pentax DSLRs (I'm referring to the new K series but I guess this applies to the ist*, as well) permit the use of older "K" series lenses from the 35mm days. I was wondering how one would meter the scene. Would it require a stop-down technique or has Pentax managed to permit come kind of "match-up-the-needles" approach?

Out here in the desert (El Paso) we don't get to see many "pro" cameras except the occasional high-end Nikon or Canon.

If there are any user reviews that include the use of the camera off the fully automatic modes, I'd appreciate being pointed to them, as well.

Thanks very much! :D

Barry

Rhys
08-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Most dSLRs have buttons and dials that aren't obviously marked for shutter or aperture. My XT for example has a dial that can be used for shutter or aperture depending on which buttons have been pressed beforehand.

I admire the clarity of the Pentax aperture/dial layout and if their sensors improve in quality and size then I might well go back to using Pentax.

pxpaulx
08-04-2006, 01:19 PM
I have the *ist DL. older manual lenses (I've acquired several, very inexpensive and excellent products!) have to be used in the camera's manual mode. But, metering is actually VERY EASY! in the menu (one time thing) you have to set the camera to allow the use of the aperture ring on manual lenses (it should come that way from the manufacturer!). you can also set the AE-L button to work differently in manual mode - by pressing the button (after having adjusted for the aperture you want), the camera will stop down and meter the scene automatically, as if it were metering in the P/program mode. you can then adjust the shutter speed if you desire, but at that point it is ready to take a photo, it is very simple, actually it has become my preferred setting for all lenses! let me know if that doesn't make sense and i'll try to clarify! i've had it for a month now and couldn't be happier with my purchase by the way, it is a real steal, and the back catalogue of lenses is huge, here's what i've picked up in addition to the kit lens:
50mm f2 manual pentax ($20)
28mm f2.8 vivitar macro ($20)
135mm f3.5 vivitar ($22)
80-210mm f3.5-5.6 tamron zoom ($42)
you'll come down with a severe case of LBA with this camera! (lens buyers addiction)
also, if you're really interested in it, the pentax dslr board over on www.dpreview.com is much livelier (sp?) than this one...