PDA

View Full Version : 20D vs. D70

tdgobux
11-11-2004, 09:43 AM
I've seen a number of posts comparing the two, especially when the price difference is at list price - and the usual conclusion is to go with the 20D.
I haven't bought a Canon Digicam yet, i've had the Nikon 990 and the Minolta 7hi (how i hate this camI've seen a number of posts comparing the two, especially when the price difference is at list price - and the usual conclusion is to go with the 20D.
I haven't bought a Canon Digicam yet, i've had the Nikon 990 and the Minolta 7hi (how i hate this camera) and I have a A2E film camera which i've loved. So i'm going on a cruise this weekend and was thinking about upgrading to one of these two models.
At best buy this weekend, in addition to the $100 discount, i can get 12% discount on either camera - so which would you chose?era) and I have a A2E film camera which i've loved. So i'm going on a cruise this weekend and was thinking about upgrading to one of these two models.
At best buy this weekend, in addition to the $100 discount, i can get 12% discount on either camera - so which would you chose?

D70FAN
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
I've seen a number of posts comparing the two, especially when the price difference is at list price - and the usual conclusion is to go with the 20D.
I haven't bought a Canon Digicam yet, i've had the Nikon 990 and the Minolta 7hi (how i hate this camI've seen a number of posts comparing the two, especially when the price difference is at list price - and the usual conclusion is to go with the 20D.
I haven't bought a Canon Digicam yet, i've had the Nikon 990 and the Minolta 7hi (how i hate this camera) and I have a A2E film camera which i've loved. So i'm going on a cruise this weekend and was thinking about upgrading to one of these two models.
At best buy this weekend, in addition to the $100 discount, i can get 12% discount on either camera - so which would you chose?era) and I have a A2E film camera which i've loved. So i'm going on a cruise this weekend and was thinking about upgrading to one of these two models.
At best buy this weekend, in addition to the $100 discount, i can get 12% discount on either camera - so which would you chose?

If throwing your money at technology is your thing then the 20D is your camera. But if you want features important to most photographers buy the D70.

Because I own a D70 this may seem like a biased statement, but I was tempted to trade up, saw no advantage, and in fact features I use frequently (like 1/500sec. flash sync) were missing on the 20D.

Again, I am not trying to insight a riot here, but this is one of the few times that Nikon got it right and Canon missed the mark. This hasn't happened since the CP900 family.

Does that mean the 20D is inferior? Definately not! It just means the 20D is overpriced. Does it take better pictures than the D70? Only at 100% crop.

The 20D does not, in my opinion, add enough value to warrant the price difference.

On the other hand the Canon DReb is a great starter dSLR, so maybe you should start there. Canon definately hit the mark on this one.