PDA

View Full Version : Canon S2 IS action shots

kjbb
07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Trying to learn how to get action shots with new camera. Tried raising the shutter speed to 1/250 and lowering the aperatue to F2.7 while experimenting on a ceiling fan. Fan showed up as stopped motion but the picture was very dark. How do I brighten the picture up, I could hardly see it. Somewhere I read raising the ISO will help. Does anyone know how to do that? Is that separate from the above changes I made?

JLV
07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I am not familiar with your camera. Usually ISO is set in the Menus. Raising the ISO will allow you to get more light to your photo.

John_Reed
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Trying to learn how to get action shots with new camera. Tried raising the shutter speed to 1/250 and lowering the aperatue to F2.7 while experimenting on a ceiling fan. Fan showed up as stopped motion but the picture was very dark. How do I brighten the picture up, I could hardly see it. Somewhere I read raising the ISO will help. Does anyone know how to do that? Is that separate from the above changes I made?You can watch the menu animation at this (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page3.asp) page. It looks like you have a choice up to ISO 400. At that ISO level, you'll get a brighter photo, but will generally get a lot of noise in the bargain. If you're really serious about wanting to shoot action, especially in low light at 1/250 or faster, maybe you should be thinking dSLR? At least that's how the pros get the job done.

mmelgar
07-26-2006, 08:43 AM
When shooting action shots with a non DSLR you have to make some trade offs. You can opne the F stop as wide as possible as you stated, and raise the ISO to 400, but as stated above this will increase the noise level. Noise can be removed to some degree with software (photoshop or noise ninja), but you will lose some detail when you do this. Like I said you have to make a trade off somewhere unless you get a DLSR. DSLR's use bigger sensors and are able to shoot at higher ISO's without getting as much noise. If this is going to be a big part of your photography - especially if you plan on doing any indoor action shots ( kids basketball games for example) you may want to consider returning your "new" camera if possible or sell it and replace it with a DSLR before its too late. You may get an occasional decent shot, but there are going to be a lot of noisy or blurred shots too.

PS - I have a Fuji S9000 which is a super zoom not unlike the canon S2. I have taken occasional sports shots with it at my kids games. Outdoors (Softball) it does pretty well, but for indoor basketball it is very tough to get a good image. One trick I've used is to let the image be underexposed a bit and lighten it up later in PP. By under exposing the image you can use a faster shutter speed. This reduces the blurring effect of motion. Its fairly simple to brighten an image when you process it. Its nearly impossible to get rid of motion blur. This trick has allowed me to get some useful images when I otherwise wouldn't, but its no substitute for having the right camera for the job.