PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeks help on behaviour of the LCD screen

kswadi
07-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi,

I just bought Pentax isd DS (It has no SD card yet, I'm waiting for one to be
shipped), and I have this behaviour:

On starting the LCD screen correctly gives a message saying that
there is no SD card, but otherwise just remains blank (I was expecting to see an image of what the viewfinder shows me). If I set the postviewer, then the LCD screen does show me the image it has captured. So I am assuming that the screen itself is properly functional.

Is this the appropriate behaviour for a digital SLR? If not, is there a menu
option that has to be set to allow me to use the screen as a viewfinder?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Rex914
07-18-2006, 09:39 PM
You cannot compose your image using the LCD on a digital SLR (except with the Olympus E-330). Rather, you must use the viewfinder for this. Yes it's a big change from compact cameras, but I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the viewfinder (the DS has the best viewfinder in its class), and in time, find it to be at least as good as using the LCD if not a superior way of composing images.

kswadi
07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Rex914 for the quick reply. I've always been using a purely manual
Pentax ZX-M, and just recently made this switch to the digital world, so I am actually more comfortable with the normal viewfinder.

Sets my heart at ease knowing that this is a feature and not a bug in
my camera!! :)

Thanks again.

You cannot compose your image using the LCD on a digital SLR (except with the Olympus E-330). Rather, you must use the viewfinder for this. Yes it's a big change from compact cameras, but I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the viewfinder (the DS has the best viewfinder in its class), and in time, find it to be at least as good as using the LCD if not a superior way of composing images.