PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Software Packages

quinn
11-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone--

I am relatively new to Digital Photography and planning to purchase some software that would allow me to edit and enhance my photos. My new laptop came with a trial version of Paint Shop Photo Album 4 but that will soon be expiring.

Paint Shop Photo Album has been pretty easy to use and I figure it is one of the more "basic" packages. At this point I am considering whether to purchase one of the more comprehensive packages. I am considering the following 3:

1) Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10

2) Paint Shop Pro 9 (would love to hear if anyone has used both 8 and 9 and if 9 is worth the extra cost and is more user friendly)

3) Adobe Photo Elements

At this point I am leaning towards trying Microsoft's Digital Imgage suite because I use the camera on my cell phone alot and I heard this package is particularly good for improving these types of images.

I haven't seen the user interface for Paint Shop Pro 9 but version 8 seemed not quite as user friendly as I would have thought (granted I didn't spend too much time with it)

I have not used Adobe at all.

Any input from other users out there would be greatly appreciatd!

jamison55
11-10-2004, 12:30 PM
My $.02...

Photoshop Elements wins hands down. There's a reason that PS is the industry leader among pros - it does everything you need to edit pics and does it better than anyone else. Photoshop Elements does almost everything that its $600 big brother can do at a fraction of the price. The other software you mentioned can all do the basics, but you will soon outgrow it. It will take you a while to outgrow PSE...

Once you have purchased PSE, get this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735713928/qid=1100114902/sr=8-6/ref=pd_csp_6/104-0544573-0051943?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

My images improved 100% when I started using the well laid out, easy to understand techniques in the book.

quinn
11-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks for your input!

I have always been a bit intimidated about Photoshop Elements since I heard it was difficult to learn and had so much included in it that the average digital photographer may not need. However, I will definitely take a 2nd look at it.

I noticed that Adobe now has Photoshop Elements 3.0 which was introduced recently. Any opinion on this as compared to the 2.0?

Thanks again

D70FAN
11-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for your input!

I have always been a bit intimidated about Photoshop Elements since I heard it was difficult to learn and had so much included in it that the average digital photographer may not need. However, I will definitely take a 2nd look at it.

I noticed that Adobe now has Photoshop Elements 3.0 which was introduced recently. Any opinion on this as compared to the 2.0?

Thanks again

Jamison is absolutely correct. Start with the best, and learn with the best. Photoshop just isn't that hard to use in normal day-to-day editing. If you start writing Actions, and using the color layer functions it get's tougher to learn, but once you know it, it's pretty easy.

Once you know Elements, moving on to Photoshop xx is pretty easy, as you are already familiar with the layout.

If you are going to spend the money, always get the latest version.

kgosden
11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I believe that PS Elements 3 now includes Photoshop Album as an integrated product.