PDA

View Full Version : getting portrait telephoto - w point-shoot

bluefish89
07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
When using a digital camera with 12x optical zoom (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30K) what zoom and technique would be good for taking headshots? Id like to get to a nice telephoto portrait equivalent and still make use of the fill-flash (during late afternoon outside or inside with good light from windows). Im clueless and very new to photography so any advice or information is welcome.

kornhauser
07-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Use the regular lens setting so you can best use the flash. The flash on most cameras (P&S) doesn't work well when the zoom is at maximum. It doesn't allow the light to fully travel to the subject and back again.

From there I would crop your picture and then have it developed.

wutske
07-10-2006, 04:43 AM
The FZ30 isn't exactly a P&S camera. Best is not to use full tele, but something in-between so you can still crop later.

The FZ30 allows you to use an external flash, so if the built-in flash isn't good enough you might try getting one (buy one, or ask friends if they have a good one lying around).

bluefish89
07-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Thank you for the feedback. As best I can determine the 5x or 6x zoom would put me close to or slightly above 150mm (for undistorted flattering faces) - so I'll give that a try with the built in flash - and determine if I should try an external one. I know what you're saying about this camera not really being a P&S... In fact, I'm hoping that this camera will be close to SLR. At least as close as I can get for now, I'm a novice with budget restrictions and this was the very best value I found for me. I've never used an external flash either - any general tips?

jcon
07-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Get a Sunpak 383 Super as your flash. I have one and used it on my Pana FZ20 and also my Nikon D50. Its powerful and very easy to use! I'm selling mine BTW;)