PDA

View Full Version : Canon 20D lens

mikejulius102
11-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I have narrowed it down to 2 lenses. The canon 100-400IS priced at about 1500 USD or the Tamron 200-500 priced about 1000USD. Before you say 500 is a lot of money I dont own a tripod. The tripod and head I priced were about 250USD, so the diffference in cost is only about 250. Has anybody used these lenses and care to throw in your nickels worth of advice, please.I have read alot og great reviews on the Canon but cant find any reviews on the Tamron, I am desperate please help

D70FAN
11-09-2004, 01:21 PM
I have narrowed it down to 2 lenses. The canon 100-400IS priced at about 1500 USD or the Tamron 200-500 priced about 1000USD. Before you say 500 is a lot of money I dont own a tripod. The tripod and head I priced were about 250USD, so the diffference in cost is only about 250. Has anybody used these lenses and care to throw in your nickels worth of advice, please.I have read alot og great reviews on the Canon but cant find any reviews on the Tamron, I am desperate please help

Here is a thread that might help. While not specifically on the Tamron lens it might help get a feel for what is being used out in the field.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=135437

P.S. I have tried the Sigma 50-500 on my D70 and was pleasantly surprised, but never really got into birds, so 300mm is as much as I need right now. You might want to include it in your list as it falls in the <$1000 range.

P.S.S. That tripod investment is well worth the money even with an IS lens.

LoveOfSelene
11-09-2004, 04:09 PM

yeah, i have used the 100-400is for animal photography once, it wasn't mine but i wish it were. =D
anyway, it's really nice, but heavy, the image quality is great to, and the IS is 3rd generation so it's really decent.

oh, i think u were the one that private messaged me, sry for the long reply i didn't notice i had one till i looked at my s/n earlyer

~loveofselene

mikejulius102
11-10-2004, 05:28 AM
unfortunately here in Toledo we dont have any really fully stocked camera stores. I guess what i need to do is go out of town and find a store that stocks these lenses and try them. Any suggestions on where to go in the Detroit or Toledo area

D70FAN
11-10-2004, 06:27 AM
unfortunately here in Toledo we dont have any really fully stocked camera stores. I guess what i need to do is go out of town and find a store that stocks these lenses and try them. Any suggestions on where to go in the Detroit or Toledo area

Go to google.com, type in toledo camera, or detroit camera, and you might be surprised. Some Ritz and Wolf stores also carry higher end lenses.

eagle17
11-11-2004, 11:41 AM
The 100-400 is an "L" lens is it not?

glennp
11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
The Canon 100-400 IS L is one of my favorite lenses. Yes, it's an "L" lens. Sure it's a bit pricey and large (especially when extended) but the IS makes it more versatile. I wouldn't say it eliminates the need for a tripod but there are plenty of situations where you can use this lens that would require a tripod with a non-IS lens or where a tripod would hinder your ability to get the picture. This versatility is what, to me, justified the extra price.

Sorry, but can't help with the Tamron. I second George's mention of the Sigma 50-500 in case you haven't considered it. Right up there with the Canon in terms of picture quality. But this big boy weighs in at about 5 lbs. so depending on your arm strength/technique, a tripod or monopod may be mandatory with this one in all but the brightest lighting.

D70FAN
11-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Sorry, but can't help with the Tamron. I second George's mention of the Sigma 50-500 in case you haven't considered it. Right up there with the Canon in terms of picture quality. But this big boy weighs in at about 5 lbs. so depending on your arm strength/technique, a tripod or monopod may be mandatory with this one in all but the brightest lighting.

Yeah but on a Canon this is 80-800mm!!! May be worth the lug (lens and tripod). Maybe that's why I'm not a "birder". ;)

Although... John R. seems to get some real nice bird shots with that $500 FZ10 and a $200 bolt-on lens extender (700mm+ ?) which weighs in at about 2-3 pounds including the camera. :D

mikejulius102
11-11-2004, 06:01 PM
what are the odds of canon in the near future coming out with a "30D" and a third party lens will not work and dont forget i allready own the 20d

eagle17
11-13-2004, 04:10 PM
what are the odds of canon in the near future coming out with a "30D" and a third party lens will not work and dont forget i allready own the 20d

Canon has done a very good job with being backwards compatible throughout there entire line of cameras. I do not expect them to alienate a very loyal consumer base with that kind of none-sense.