PDA

View Full Version : adjusting shutter speed and Aperture value

mathewsuraj
07-09-2006, 12:31 AM
hi

I use a DSC - H1 camera . when I take photos by increasing the shutter speed and aperture value in manual mode , the picture looks so dark. i does this kind of setting for taking the photo of a fast moving object ( say something like ceiling fan)

Could anyone recommend me what setting i should go for when i want to take a fast moving object

regards

Mathew

jimfrostis
07-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Hi

The easiest way to take things moving at speed on the H1, is to use the sports mode setting, which combines a high shutter speed, with an aperature size that will correctly expose the picture. However this will work less sucessfully in doors or in bad light. Here you are going to either need the flash on, or if you don't do that work out a compromise between having a shutter speed fast enough to capture the action and slow enough to allow enough light to expose the picture. To alter these individually set the camera to 'm' mode and use the jog dial. You can help this along by setting the aperature as wide as possible, allowing the most light in possible, and setting the film speed as as high as possible, I think ISO400 on the H1 (this makes the camera more sensitive to light but will increase picture noise), also by using a tripod to reduce blur from shakey hands. Depending on how dark it is it will probably be a compromise though. With regard to taking a picture of a fan, that's a very fast moving object! You're most likely going to get blur whatever the conditions.

jcon
07-11-2006, 08:04 AM
If you are trying to take action shots, raising shutter AND aperture is not the way to go, that will deffinatly darken the picture. For action shots, use manual mode(M), you will want a fairly fast(high) shutter speed, somewhere around 1/250 or faster(to freeze the action). As for Aperture, the lower the better(to allow more light in), it depends on the limitations of the lens, If you can set it to F2.8, great, if not choose the smallest number possible. You will need to increase the ISO to allow more light into the censor. Higher ISO will result in a noisy(grainy) picture but can be later removed with noise removal software such as Neat Image, which I use. Practicing on a moving fan is actually a good idea, I did the same when I first bought my Nikon D50 just to get familiar with the camera and what settings where needed to freeze the blades. BTW, it was possible to take a picture of the fan moving, and the picture turning out as if it werent even on;) Good luck and let us know how it goes!