PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot S3 Picture Quality

bahern
07-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi,
I was very excited about going on holiday with my new Canon Powershot S3 and had a great time taking lots of pictures and video on the camera, but was puzzled when I got back and loaded them onto my PC.

My videos were excellent quality and I was very pleased with them, but I was a little stunned at the quality of the photos. My photos were very grainy - all of them. The printed photos from the camera shop were fine and they said they didn't see anything wrong with them. But on both my PCs, the photos are very grainy and more grainy than my old Kodak DX6440.

Could I be using the camera wrong? I've got it set to the highest setting and superfine quality, so I'd expect superb quality photos. Instead I'm having to use Paint Shop Pro and run a filter on each photo to make them look better.

I have plenty of samples if someone would like to take a look at what I mean.

I'm still learning photography, so most of my pictures were taken in Sports mode and some were in Auto mode. I'm hoping there isn't a fault with the camera.

Cheers,
Brian

bahern
07-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi,
I have attached two photos to demonstrate what I mean.

IMG_0212sml.jpg is a section of an image taken in Sports mode from my Canon Powershot S3.

100_0946sml.jpg is another section of an image taken on my Kodak DX6440, in Auto mode on that camera.

The difference in quality is clear here.

Thanks,
Brian

truflip
07-13-2006, 01:41 PM
sportsmode usually uses high ISO between 200-800.. most of the time it uses 400... n thats when it gets really noise.. dont even bother with 800.. try simulating sports mode. use the manual modes like AV and M.. i kno its inconvenient but this is the cameras downside = High ISO's and sprots mode relies on high ISO. sorry =( i dont like it either but thats how it is

JTL
07-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi,
I have attached two photos to demonstrate what I mean.

IMG_0212sml.jpg is a section of an image taken in Sports mode from my Canon Powershot S3.

100_0946sml.jpg is another section of an image taken on my Kodak DX6440, in Auto mode on that camera.

The difference in quality is clear here.

Thanks,
BrianYou're comparing an ISO 800 shot to an ISO 100 shot...it's some kind of joke, right? :rolleyes:

XaiLo
07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
post the exif in info from a couple of the bad pics. but most likely as truflip stated sometimes the camera can get ISO happy I pretty much live in manual.

bahern
07-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all your help. I didn't know what the ISO used in both cases where because the Kodak EXIF info doesn't tell me and the Canon one just states the ISO as auto.

But from the information here, it would seem that the Auto and Sports modes are using a high ISO, so I guess I will need to learn a bit more about the other functions of the camera instead.

Thanks again,
Brian

JTL
07-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all your help. I didn't know what the ISO used in both cases where because the Kodak EXIF info doesn't tell me...

What? Look at line eight. It's right there...you really shouldn't attempt to do critical analysis before you know what you're doing or talking about...:rolleyes:

Camera Make: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera Model: KODAK DX6440 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Image Date: 2005:07:07 02:19:40
Flash Used: No (Auto)
Focal Length: 8.2mm (35mm equivalent: 49mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)

bahern
07-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Well I don't know how you got that information, but I would sure like to know. When I look at the EXIF information in Paint Shop Pro for the Kodak picture I do not see any entry for ISO. If you know how to determine the ISO used for the Canon picture that would be great as well, because the EXIF information is only displaying "Auto" for the ISO so I don't know which one was used - although from previous posts we've determined it is somewhere between 200 and 800.

I already stated that I'm not familiar with a lot of the functions of the camera and I'm trying to learn. But I'm perfectly capable of reading a list of information, and both Windows file properties, Paint Shop Pro and Corel Photo Album are all showing nothing for the ISO speed. So I would appreciate if you would help me here by explaining how you got the ISO speed and if I can do the same to work out what the Canon used during the auto and Sports modes.

Thanks,
Brian

JTL
07-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Kodak reports ISO as Exposure Index.

While Exposure Index is technically different than ISO/ASA...the two have for some time been used interchangeably....especially since the advent of digital. Some programs are smart enough to report the info that Kodak places in the EI field in the ISO field. I suspect that the reason Kodak reports EI rather than ISO is because of their leagcy in film and EI is used in the development of film.

FLiPMaRC
07-19-2006, 06:53 AM
sportsmode usually uses high ISO between 200-800.. most of the time it uses 400... n thats when it gets really noise.. dont even bother with 800.. try simulating sports mode. use the manual modes like AV and M.. i kno its inconvenient but this is the cameras downside = High ISO's and sprots mode relies on high ISO. sorry =( i dont like it either but thats how it is
LOL ... I wish I knew about this before last weekend. All the pictures I took in sports mode were all grainy :mad: Next time, I'll just won't bother with sports mode and use the maual modes instead. :cool: