PDA

View Full Version : What could be my choice?

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 10:01 AM
I had an Olympus C-700 but it's accidentially broken. The estimate repaire cost is enough to get a new and better one. I'm now doing the research to get a new one. My criteria is:

Must:
1 Using AA battery, (I have lots of Ni-Mh batteries and think it'll be much easy to be shared by other devices such as Walkie Talkie when you travel)

Prefer:
1. big optical zoom, (I can sacrifice this with high megapixel CCD)
2. big aperture
3. full auto/manual control
4. Media type order by preference: Smartmedia, or Compact Flash, or SD/MMC

Budget is preferrable around the repairing cost, which is at $300, but can be up to $500.

After looking at this site, all my prefered candidates are end up with bad image quality such as above average noise and purple fringing. Now I have totally lost my idea. Does the ultra zoom always generates the big purple fringing and noise? What can be my choice?

Please HELP!!!

jamison55
07-20-2004, 10:23 AM
How about an Olympus C740. I've heard it reported that they tamed the purple fringing quite a bit with the 740/750. It uses AA batteries, and it's within your price range!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-111-119&depa=7

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 10:38 AM
# Noise levels higher than they should be
# No AF illuminator
# Over-sensitive power button
# EVF difficult to see in low light
# No more sound recording, flash sync port (which C-730 had)

It says the noise level is high. :( Plus, I don't like the xD-picture. Don't see any future for this kind of the storage media.

Rhys
07-20-2004, 11:17 AM
The Canon S1 is a good choice. I hear that's $417 in Best Buy.

Unfortunately, Smart Media is consigned to history as nobody now makes cameras that take it aside from Fuji's S602.

Given Fuji's and Olympus' track record with memory cards, I'd suggest not using a Fuji or an Olympus unless it took Secure Digital or Compact Flash. Xtreme Digital is IMHO a Dodo waiting to die.

In the ultrazoom stakes there are quite a few cameras. The S1 takes AA batteries though. The others I'm not so sure about.

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Canon S1 did under my consideration, but see the review here:

# Images slightly noisy; above average purple fringing as well

This is too much disappointed.

Same as Fuji FinePix S602, it looks great and support both SmartMedai and Campact Flash, but here is the sad review again :(

# Lots of noise, artifacts, and jaggies, especially at the 6MP setting
# Noticeable barrel distortion at wide-angle

D70FAN
07-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Ultra-Zooms are generally going to have some minor problems with lens related issues. In the case of the S1 IS the problems are no better or worse than others in this genre.

Noise is relative and can now be post processed using Noise Ninja.

You might also want to look at the Panasonic lineup as the FZ10 is below $500 and sports a 12X zoom and Image Stabilization (IS). There are also supposed to be some new announcements from Panasonic today on their latest offerings. Minolta has also anounced the Z3 which has 12X zoom and IS, but no pricing or release date yet.

If you are looking at a zoom range of 8x and higher then IS should be a key feature. It makes up for many of the smaller issues that can be cured by adjusting aperture, ISO setting, or post processing.

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
FZ10 does't use AA. :(

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Am I too picky? :confused:

John_Reed
07-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Am I too picky? :confused:
No camera is going to be "all things for all people." I've got a lot of old AA batteries sitting around, but I'm happy with the small proprietary Li-Ion batteries that my FZ10 uses. I can start the day with a fresh one inserted, and carry a spare in my pocket along with my keys and change (terminals are recessed and protected). Usually I get 200-300 shots per charge. As for "purple fringing," I find it to be a non-issue. If it appears, it is usually because I was shooting at too wide of an aperture, and the CA (chromatic aberration) shows up in out-of-focus areas of the photos. It's really not a big deal. As for the lack of AF illuminator, I have never felt the need for this, with all the shooting I've done. But after today's announcements of new products by Panasonic, I guess I'll start to get restive, impatient, vaguely dissatisfied with my FZ10. For the moment, though, I love it!

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 01:38 PM
There should be one close to what I want.
I can stay with the 3x optical zoom but high mega pixel. ex: Kodak EasyShare DX4530 is close but it doesn't support full manual or at least Av/Tv.

Rhys
07-20-2004, 02:13 PM
There should be one close to what I want.
I can stay with the 3x optical zoom but high mega pixel. ex: Kodak EasyShare DX4530 is close but it doesn't support full manual or at least Av/Tv.

I think you're trying to get something that's a cross between what you really want and what you had. It seems to me that it would be better to sketch out some rough plans about what you'd like the camera to do. Forget about media type and about batteries. They're irrelevant. The photos you take are important, not the equipment.

Start from scratch - no camera. Build up from there.

I started with an Olympus C800L which was 0.8 megapixels. I bought a lot of 8mb smart media for it. Then I decided I wanted a better camera and sold my C800 before buying a C200 Zoom. Foolishly I thought my 8mb Smart Media would be useful. They were well nigh useless since the file size rose from 50k to 500 - 700k.

I sold my Olympus and the smart media before casting around to see what else was available.

I tried hard to get something that had all the facilities offered by the C200 but could not get everything. I nearly went back to film, in desperation.

In the end, I cast aside my predjudices and looked to see what I could do with these cameras and ended up with my ideal macro camera. Then I decided I needed a pocket camera and had that. Now I'm getting an ultrazom camera. I did consider going dSLR but although I'd quite like to go dSLR, I can't justify buying a dSLR and lenses. If Nikon hadn't sabotaged the D70 and D100 in order to make people buy the D1/D2 then I'd have bought a D70. As it is, I feel miffed enough by Nikon that I'm getting the S1 and then maybe later - if the S1 works out fine - a Canon dSLR & fSLR (need two - one to back the other up).

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the responses.

There's another reason behind my criteria is the bedget. Beside the convenience of using AA, I don't want to spend another couple of hundred bucks on the accessory.

BTW, any chance to get a body only dSLR which can reuse my file camera's lens? That will be perfect.

jamison55
07-20-2004, 03:27 PM
All DSLR's can use most of the AF lenses of their film counterparts (and can be purchased body-only). MF lenses are a different story. What does your film kit consist of?

Ultrazoom
07-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Mine is Minolta AF 28-80. Any matches?

D70FAN
07-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Mine is Minolta AF 28-80. Any matches?

Sorry, Noda.

Minolta is hung up on the all-in-ones so far, but sooner or later they should make a stab at the consumer dSLR market. It would be a 42-120 on an APS sensored dSLR anyway. So you would loose that wide angle portion of the focal length. Digital base zooms start at 18mm or so to get a 27mm WA equivelent.

jamison55
07-21-2004, 04:15 AM
Minolta has a DSLR due out later this year...or so the rumors go...http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03121201minoltadslr.asp

Rhys
07-22-2004, 06:31 AM
Interestingly, it appears that SRB film service in Britain has an adaptor that'll allow people to use Nikon lenses on a Canon camera. This is what they had to say when I enquired. It seems that if I go dSLR then the D300 plus the adaptor seems to work out as better value than the Nikon D70. At least the D300 will work with stop-down metering while the D70 won't do anything with a MF lens! I emailed them. This is what they had to say:

Hi,

We can obtain the Novoflex adaptor which allows Nikon lenses to be used on EOS
bodies. It works with manual diaphragm only and stop down metering. You can set
the body to aperture priority so you get automatic selection of shutter speed
depending on selected apertures, but you will view through the viewfinder at
actual aperture, so the image will be darker the smaller the aperture.

The price of the adaptor is 109.00 plus 2.50 postage and handling. Delivery
approx 4 weeks.
Regards

SRB FILM SERVICE

D70FAN
07-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Pretty neat. Let us know how it works.

Even though cross-posting is generally not allowed, maybe you should post this on the dSLR board as well.