PDA

View Full Version : Olympus c-770 vs Panasonic FZ3

dcliev
11-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Was just about to go for the c-770 when I came across the FZ3.
Hot shoe on c-770 is nice but 12x Zoom & IS is a big plus.

Has anyone else compared these 2 cameras and what they produce?
Any clear winner in image quality?

Trying to stick with a smaller camera that pruduces excellent quility pictures with little / or best of all no post processing.

JDM
11-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Got the C-770 UZ as the image quality was a lot better than the Panasonic. As for the I.I it is a good thing to have but nothing that you can not do without a stand. The 12x zoom ........ not much from the 10x zoom (C-770 has an option to do optical 14x zoom have not tried it yet :) >

kgosden
11-11-2004, 08:17 PM
I have used the FZ3 and would choose it and the IS over the Olympus. I am a long time Olympus digital owner, but really dislike getting railroaded into that stupid xD memory format. It costs substantially more per MB that Panasonic's choice of SD (and it always will cost more). $70 will get you a 1GB SD card, but a 256MB xD is running $50! Plus the FZ3 lens is a fixed f2.8 aperature while the C770 slides up to f3.7 in telephoto. That's a pretty big loss of light where you need it most since you might be using that telephoto to reach into a sporting event and a bigger aperature will let you use a faster shutter speed for freezing the action.

Thon
11-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Both cameras have their advantages and disadvantages.

You've all actually listed all of them.

Anyway, to make your choice a little easier, what is your main criteria?

Olympus has the better photo quality, but Panasonic has the better optics and IS. Oly 4MP vs Pana 3MP. Oly better movies (MPEG4 uses less memory without too much loss of quality). Pana cheaper batteries and SDs. Oly better in-built flash. The list goes on.

Size/weight is very similar, though I feel that the C770UZ has the slimmer shape (the FZ3 lens is too big).

I like a low profile camera that I can carry around without attracting too much attention, and I can fit my C770UZ in my jacket pocket, so go figure.

dcliev
11-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your help.

Criteria?

1. Photo Quality - Crisp, clean, accurate picture right from camera
2. Good Zoom

From a stroke I had last year, (At this time) I have use of only my right hand.
If needed I will use a monpod / tripod.

3. Easy to Use Camera - If controls are too complicated, I won't use
4. Easy to Use - Right hand only
5. Size - Something I won't mind taking - Fit in coat pocket.

David :cool:

kgosden
11-12-2004, 07:02 PM
I think at this point you need a bit of hands on time with each. Not knowing your limitations I would think that IS would be a big benefit when the user has some limited mobility and control. Both are light cameras and for some users that makes them harder to hold steady. If you are the least bit unsteady with your good hand it might be important to note that the FZ3 IS can be set to be active while you are in pre-focus mode. This helps to settle down any jerkiness in the viewfinder (although my wife says a lack of jerkiness is not apparent if I am the photo subject).

Thon
11-13-2004, 04:38 AM
Thanks for your help.

Criteria?

1. Photo Quality - Crisp, clean, accurate picture right from camera
2. Good Zoom

From a stroke I had last year, (At this time) I have use of only my right hand.
If needed I will use a monpod / tripod.

3. Easy to Use Camera - If controls are too complicated, I won't use
4. Easy to Use - Right hand only
5. Size - Something I won't mind taking - Fit in coat pocket.

David :cool:

Hi David,

Sorry to heard about your stroke, getting better?

In your case, the C770UZ may not be the best choice, the FZ3 may be just a bit better with the IS. But do remember IS is not the magic formula, just a very very good tool for countering camera shake.

However, if you are willing to use a tripod/monopod a bit, then the C770UZ is worth to check out. And you do not need much post processing on the Oly.

Size/weight wise, the C770UZ is better, the weight should be more balanced when held using 1 hand. The FZ3 (never used one, only a FZ1 last year) I believe, with the bigger lens will be front heavy and should be used with 2 hands. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) You should try both out before deciding.

Jim Last
11-13-2004, 10:31 AM
I would tend to agree with Thon.

The FZ's lens does make the camera slightly front heavy, if you are not using a tripod a good firm grip with both hands is needed, even with the IS you still need a reasonable level of stability.