PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity to buy a new camera

Lesleya
07-19-2004, 11:55 PM
I had a Canon Powershot S45, which I dropped in a lake, so now I am on the hunt for a new camera. Any help would be appreciated.
I'll tell you what I want, and what I didn't like about my S45
What I want:
at least 4 mp
good handling of low light situations
fast response time between pictures (so taking 2 pictures back to back quickly)
ability to take movies that are not limited by time

What I did not like about my S45
Every picture of people shot indoors when in auto had redeye
It took a long time between pictures to be ready to take another picture.

NOw I have several batteries for my Powershot S45, asn a couple of 256 mb compact flash cards, but if there is a better camera out there, I am willing to sacrifice these.

Any help would be apprecaited!

Thanks
Lesley

Rhys
07-20-2004, 05:35 AM
I had a Canon Powershot S45, which I dropped in a lake, so now I am on the hunt for a new camera. Any help would be appreciated.
I'll tell you what I want, and what I didn't like about my S45
What I want:
at least 4 mp
good handling of low light situations
fast response time between pictures (so taking 2 pictures back to back quickly)
ability to take movies that are not limited by time

What I did not like about my S45
Every picture of people shot indoors when in auto had redeye
It took a long time between pictures to be ready to take another picture.

NOw I have several batteries for my Powershot S45, asn a couple of 256 mb compact flash cards, but if there is a better camera out there, I am willing to sacrifice these.

Any help would be apprecaited!

Thanks
Lesley

The Canon A70/A75 has a good reputation. It takes AA batteries but it takes Compact flash too. It's only 3 megpixels though.

jamison55
07-20-2004, 05:55 AM
Canon A75 would be a step down from the S45, and they are plagued with redeye as well. I don't know your budget, but if you are willing to spend around $500 or so, there are several great options out there. My first choice would be the Olympus 5060 or 5050. Both of these cameras take CF memory. The 5060 is newer, with a wider wide angle lens, the 5050 is older, with a faster f1.8 lens. I own the latter and it is a great camera. The f1.8 lens is a low-light champion (and the fastest ever made for a prosumer digicam), the shot to thot speed is instantaneous, and it takes sharp pictures right out of the camera. Redeye has never been a problem. I bought it about 5 months ago refurb'd for around $350 on EBay. The 5060 is about 8 months newer and will knock you back around $500.

Olympus 5050 (though you may want to check on EBay for better refurb'd prices): http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=648625/search=olympus%25205050

Olympus 5060: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1594734/search=olympus%25205060