PDA

View Full Version : Futbol. (56k)

cdifoto
06-29-2006, 06:17 PM
My friend started a woman's summer soccer league this year. She invited me to shoot a little. It's very casual but good fun. This was actually my first real soccer shoot. I had done it once before last year for the newspaper, but it was in a poorly lit stadium and I only had Bigma so I don't really count it. All images shot with 70-200mm f/2.8L, no teleconverter. Cropped as necessary.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/soccer/2006-06-29-0005.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/soccer/2006-06-29-0006.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/soccer/2006-06-29-0009.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/soccer/2006-06-29-0018.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/soccer/2006-06-29-0052.jpg

You can see the entire gallery at www.cdi-ink.com/soccer.

cwphoto
06-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Well done Mate, perfect lens for this sort of stuff or would a 1.4x help do you think?

aparmley
06-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I agree nicely done! I really like that last one.

cdifoto
06-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Well done Mate, perfect lens for this sort of stuff or would a 1.4x help do you think?

Thanks C-dub. I'm so rusty on sports I didn't expect to come home with anything....I chimped down to about 80 shots to upload when I got home. Shooting purely in 1 shot mode...no bursts...really cuts down on the memory usage.

It's one of those too long when you're at 70mm and too short at 200mm type deals. LOL. When I wanted goal shots, I was too damned close. When I wanted across the field, I was too damned far away. I have a 1.4x Tamron TC in my B&H shopping cart (supposedly highly regarded) that I may or may not give a try. I can't afford a $290 Canon. The Tammy's only $110. I'll probably order sometime either late next week or early the following so I can try it AND still have time to return it if it doesn't work out. They're taking next week off so I wouldn't be able to use it then.

cdifoto
06-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I agree nicely done! I really like that last one.

Thanks Andy!

cwphoto
06-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks C-dub. I'm so rusty on sports I didn't expect to come home with anything....I chimped down to about 80 shots to upload when I got home. Shooting purely in 1 shot mode...no bursts...really cuts down on the memory usage.

It's one of those too long when you're at 70mm and too short at 200mm type deals. LOL. When I wanted goal shots, I was too damned close. When I wanted across the field, I was too damned far away. I have a 1.4x Tamron TC in my B&H shopping cart (supposedly highly regarded) that I may or may not give a try. I can't afford a $290 Canon. The Tammy's only $110. I'll probably order sometime either late next week or early the following so I can try it AND still have time to return it if it doesn't work out. They're taking next week off so I wouldn't be able to use it then.

Yeah that Tamron might be worth a go I reckon. The FL is frustrating I know. I'm using the 300 for it's image quality but I'm missing a few shots when the little guys get close where the 70-200 (on 1.3x) was almost perfect.

When I get a second body I'll be fine but the days I use the 300 I often curse for a zoom and the days I use the 70-200 with 1.4x I look at them on the screen and wish I used the 300.:rolleyes:

Whaddaya do???

aparmley
06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Whaddaya do???

Swallow your Pride, lower your standards a little bit, pick a nice resteraunt, call the canon rep. :D

cdifoto
06-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah that Tamron might be worth a go I reckon. The FL is frustrating I know. I'm using the 300 for it's image quality but I'm missing a few shots when the little guys get close where the 70-200 (on 1.3x) was almost perfect.

When I get a second body I'll be fine but the days I use the 300 I often curse for a zoom and the days I use the 70-200 with 1.4x I look at them on the screen and wish I used the 300.:rolleyes:

Whaddaya do???

No doubt. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. I was definitely thankful for being on a crop camera though. Helluva lot cheaper to get almost the same 300mm you have. I got the second body out and mounted the 24-70 to try some goal shots but switching back and forth just was too difficult to do quickly enough to get a good shot. I put it away pretty quickly.

Only thing I'm not gonna like about having a TC is the loss of a stop. I was ok with shutter speeds until the sun started to fade. It wasn't in a stadium and by the end I was at ISO1600 f/2.8. Still getting 1/2500th but with the TC that drops to 1/1250th. Should still be fast enough but 1/2500th lets you be a little more...I don't know...carefree I guess.

cwphoto
06-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Musta been pretty dark if you were at ISO 1600.:confused:

cdifoto
06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Musta been pretty dark if you were at ISO 1600.:confused:

I was at ISO100 most of the time. It ended around just before 8PM. The sun was setting behind clouds today. Made it darker than it woulda been otherwise.

I guess on days like this, with the TC I can either take it off and be limited range again, or just pack it in for the evening.

I'll say one thing though...f/2.8 is a dream...coming off of Bigma's 6.3...wow. lol.

24Peter
06-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Last two are great Don. Good job! :)

cdifoto
06-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Last two are great Don. Good job! :)

Thanks Pete! :) Pleasantly surprised myself!

cwphoto
06-29-2006, 10:04 PM
I was at ISO100 most of the time. It ended around just before 8PM. The sun was setting behind clouds today. Made it darker than it woulda been otherwise.

I guess on days like this, with the TC I can either take it off and be limited range again, or just pack it in for the evening.

I'll say one thing though...f/2.8 is a dream...coming off of Bigma's 6.3...wow. lol.

f/2.8: the magical aperture!:D

cdifoto
06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
f/2.8: the magical aperture!:D

LOL yes indeedy! ;)

I'm lusting after the 300mm f/2.8L IS...or even better yet...the 400! That's a looooonnnng way off though, if ever. Lots of things both photography and not have to be placed ahead of one of those wallet sharks.

coldrain
06-30-2006, 02:34 AM
Well, 3 things.
1. if you want you should consider the 1.7x Soligor, although you can't return it. I keep being amazed how well it actually performs on my 70-200 f4 L USM.

Since Soligor is not distributed in the USA, you have to order it from their website and it costs then a bit more than the 1.4 kenko or Tamron. With the Tamron, be sure to get the Pro version though, I think. It seems to be the better one of the two versins they have.

2. Nice photos!

3. That a shallow depth of field feels a little out of place to me in these photos, sports pics should give a bit more of the action and this focusses too much on the single players, even the ball gets OOF and you can't recognize anyone else. You will notice than in sports pics they usually do not use such a high aperture, to show more "action".

Mr O
06-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Very nice shots m8. One question if I may...what do you set your AF points to. When I take these type of shots I do so in AI Servo mode and use the centre AF point. Would you/anyone say this is the best way...?

Thanks in advance.

ReF
06-30-2006, 05:23 AM
is that the tamron SP or normal?

cwphoto
06-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Very nice shots m8. One question if I may...what do you set your AF points to. When I take these type of shots I do so in AI Servo mode and use the centre AF point. Would you/anyone say this is the best way...?

Thanks in advance.

Works for me.

cdifoto
06-30-2006, 06:34 AM
is that the tamron SP or normal?

It's the cheap normal one. I've seen it recommended more than once so at that price I'm going to try it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=53109&is=REG

cdifoto
06-30-2006, 06:36 AM

Thanks in advance.

I was using center point. I'm on a lowly XT which only has 7 to choose from and the center is the most accurate. If I was on a 1 Series I'd probably switch around more or set a group to be active. DOF is an issue at f/2.8 but it seemed to give me more keepers. Peoples' heads rarely seem to fall on either of the XT's top (in portrait) points.

cdifoto
06-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Well, 3 things.
1. if you want you should consider the 1.7x Soligor, although you can't return it. I keep being amazed how well it actually performs on my 70-200 f4 L USM.

Since Soligor is not distributed in the USA, you have to order it from their website and it costs then a bit more than the 1.4 kenko or Tamron. With the Tamron, be sure to get the Pro version though, I think. It seems to be the better one of the two versins they have.

2. Nice photos!

3. That a shallow depth of field feels a little out of place to me in these photos, sports pics should give a bit more of the action and this focusses too much on the single players, even the ball gets OOF and you can't recognize anyone else. You will notice than in sports pics they usually do not use such a high aperture, to show more "action".

1. I tried to go through the order process and see what shipping would cost, it won't let me. The site glitches. I'd rather be able to return something if it doesn't work out anyway.

2. Thanks!

3. I've seen very few non-isolating shots in soccer/field hockey. When you see the ball OOF it's probably because it's closer than you think to me, rather than the player. My timing is rusty.