PDA

View Full Version : Just about to order - please help me with the buying + rebate process

dresen
11-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Hi

As a dane, it is complicated to get a hold of all the rules on the american market just by reading.

I have a friend in the states right now, and based on the information I have received from reading in this and other fora, I feel almost ready to order a rebel through him. I want to buy from Ibuydigital.

I just have a few more questions about the buying proces, so I can give my friend precise guidelines.

I've read the terms and conditions for canons rebate system, and from what I can see, you only qualify for the rebate if you have an american address. I would have liked to have my name on the "Canon USA warranty card", but that will obviously not work.

Im planning to by a mack warranty as well. Do you know whether I can get my name on this warranty even though my friend is registred on the Canon USA warranty card, that he payed for the camera with his credit card and that he will pay for the mack warranty with his credit card?

Can you tell in what form the rebate will be returned, is it a check that will be mailed to the applied address?

My friend has to travel home for the christmas holiday in the middle of december. If he has not collected the rebate before he travels, will it be a problem to do in january (is there only a short period of time where you can claim the rebate)?

Hope you can help.

Regards

dresen

Rhys
11-08-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm looking at some things in the US - notably laptops. There's one that's advertised at $699 new. The problem is that the real price is $200 higher unless one sends in for the rebates. The small-print on the rebates is "if you haven't received your rebate in 10 - 12 weeks, please contact us". In other words, Dell don't intend to give any rebates because by the time 3 months is up they'll have lost all the documentation as will you.

Personally, I cannot understand why Americans put up with all this fiddle-faddle. I know I won't buy anything unless it has a straightforward honest price. The prices I see in America are devious and dishonest. American retailers do not add their VAT to the price and whack the VAT on when you go to buy the item. Thus, a price of $6 is not $6 as advertised. That price label is a downright lie. The real price is $6 + VAT.

All I can say about the plan to buy from the US via somebody else is that it all sounds like a chain with many weak links.

dresen
11-08-2004, 09:17 AM
How much is the VAT ?!

Is it included here you think ?!
ibuydigital (http://www.ibuydigital.com/main.cfm?fuseaction=all.proPage&product_id=2556&CFID=7195699&CFTOKEN=21262784)

/dresen

D70FAN
11-08-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm looking at some things in the US - notably laptops. There's one that's advertised at $699 new. The problem is that the real price is $200 higher unless one sends in for the rebates. The small-print on the rebates is "if you haven't received your rebate in 10 - 12 weeks, please contact us". In other words, Dell don't intend to give any rebates because by the time 3 months is up they'll have lost all the documentation as will you.

Personally, I cannot understand why Americans put up with all this fiddle-faddle. I know I won't buy anything unless it has a straightforward honest price. The prices I see in America are devious and dishonest. American retailers do not add their VAT to the price and whack the VAT on when you go to buy the item. Thus, a price of $6 is not $6 as advertised. That price label is a downright lie. The real price is $6 + VAT.

All I can say about the plan to buy from the US via somebody else is that it all sounds like a chain with many weak links.

As a Fry's Electronics customer, I buy many (many) items that are rebated, and have never had a problem receiving rebates as promised (usually 4-6 weeks). I have also received rebates from Dell, Nikon, Kingston, and etc. without a problem.

If, by VAT, you mean sales tax, then you may be right. But we factor that in to local purchase pricing. However, when we buy on the internet, state to state, there is no sales tax, so on a $1000 item the savings can be $60 to $90. Some states, like Oregon, have no sales tax (but of course make up for it somewhere else).

All-in-all I think we put up with it because it beats paying a $200 VAT on a $400 item. And it's really nice to buy a 256MB CF card for $9.99 after $25 rebate, when we would have paid $34.99 for it on sale anyway. Kind of a double bonus. You just have to be patient for a few weeks.

So how much would that $699 Dell have cost normally, in a store? $899? So the $200 is just gravy. Without the rebate you would never see that $699 price anyway.

Just food for thought.

dresen
11-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi

George -> I would like to go dSLR and never go back. Just need a bit of info from you guys - see the start of the thread :)

If my questions are to stupid or you think I should address them to the respective dealers or some other place, just let me know.

The reason why I ask you, is because I feel more confident, with the answers I receive from other buyers.

Hope to hear from you or other experienced buyers.

/dresen

wishbone
11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure if the warranty and rebates will work as specified, but another option is if Mack Warranties can be purchased after the original purchase as some other extended warranties I have seen, your friend could by the camera, sell it for you for $1, and then you do the extended warranty with your name and address. The other might work, I really don't know.

As far as rebates, it's all volume. Dell, or anyone else offering mail in rebates, knows that a certain percentage of people will forget to send in the paperwork, or lose it. So when someone has a $200 rebate on a $900 item, the price for an individual buyer can be $700, but with volume, the average price of the item sold will be significantly higher for the seller.

Personally, I would prefer a $150 off the buying price than a $200 mail in rebate, but it doesn't make as much of a marketing splash.

Rhys
11-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Personally, I would prefer a $150 off the buying price than a $200 mail in rebate, but it doesn't make as much of a marketing splash.

With the mail-in rebate, what the company is doing is selling the camera and getting free phone numbers, email addresses and mailing addresses to sell to junkmail companies. They're also making a marketting splash and they also know that only a minority of customers will apply for the rebate.

D70FAN
11-08-2004, 08:49 PM
With the mail-in rebate, what the company is doing is selling the camera and getting free phone numbers, email addresses and mailing addresses to sell to junkmail companies. They're also making a marketting splash and they also know that only a minority of customers will apply for the rebate.

Hey, it works for me. ;) And the Junk mail (e- or otherwise) has not increased in the past 2 years. It's $$$ in the bank. :D

suemccartin
11-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Only once did I have a problem and that was with a free case not a rebate. The American authorities can and have come down pretty hard on those companies that don't follow through with rebates so as long as you stick with a big company like compusa, best buy, dell, there's rarely problems. With those folks you can generally log onto a web site and watch it go through, yep they mess around with it for 3 months but you do eventually get it--meanwhile they make interest on your money and sell your address, phone and email address to mass mailers and telemarketers. That's why I always use my work number (where they won't call because it's government) on all that paperwork. Yeah, they count on the fact that you're too lazy to send in the paperwork but if you take care of business and keep copies of everything you won't have a problem. Just be careful, since you're outside the US they might have some fine print in there about you have to have a US address so you might want to consider having your friend do the whole mess for you.