PDA

View Full Version : RAW or JPEG

Rhys
06-29-2006, 03:36 AM
Here are two photos. I took the shot with RAW+JPEG. The JPEG has the highlights burnt out. The RAW, I knocked back a stop or so and without any further processing, looks a lot better.

snap
06-29-2006, 04:44 PM
The second pic appeals to me more than the first. I assume the jpeg would look as good if you post processed it and changed the exposure or brightness. I'm uncertain if you are comparing jpeg with RAW or if you are illustrating the usefulness of shooting in RAW.

Rhys
06-29-2006, 06:24 PM
The first shot was shot in JPEG. The second was shot in RAW.

In this post, I was illustrating how the dynamic range of RAW is great enough to keep highlights from being burnt out.

aparmley
06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
The first shot was shot in JPEG. The second was shot in RAW.

In this post, I was illustrating how the dynamic range of RAW is great enough to keep highlights from being burnt out.

Its my understanding that if you really did clip the highlights with your exposure there would not have been any data to bring back in RAW conversion.

But this still does illustrate the usefullness of RAW - Bringing the exposure back down to where it should be before you generate a JPEG allows for better image quality than trying to bring back your jpeg.

Rhys
06-29-2006, 08:05 PM
And this is the RAW conversion with fill light applied.