PDA

View Full Version : Center-weighted metering in the Panasonic vs Fuji Head-to-Head

eitanob
06-28-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm looking at the metering part of the 'Panasonic Lumix FZ30 vs Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Head-to-Head Review' http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-Lumix-FZ30-vs-Fujifilm-FinePix-S9000-Head-to-Head-Review/Metering--Exposure--Focus.htm
If you'll look at the first picture (the Center-weighted test), you'll see the white background and the darker bag in the middle. The reviewer wrote: "We expected the Center-weighted exposure to be worse – it should have been fooled by the white background, and darkened the image. The Fujifilm FinePix S9000 behaved just that way – at f/3.8 at 1/80, its Center-weighted shot was a full stop darker than the Pattern shot".
I can't understand why. Because if the camera is in center-weighted mode, it should emphasize metering on the center. It should be fooled by the darker center and not by the white background. Than, the camera should try to insert more light in order to brighten the center, so the center-weighted metering should brighten the image… where is my mistake?

Telecorder
07-14-2006, 08:33 AM
is probably the reason why there was a difference. Given the same image size on the sensors, the digi that apportioned more of the area in the middle of the sensor for exposure metering is more likely to compensate for the brighter background...