PDA

View Full Version : Confused about an old lens and a new camera...

aaava
11-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey folks:

I just purchased and rec'd my Panasonic Lumix, FZ20. It's an excellent camera, though I have a few nits with the shutter speed settings, and the poor light performance. It's definitely much better than the Canon Powershot S1 I had.

Now, here's the problem. I have an old Nikon 8008. I plan on selling it, since it just doesn't seem worthwhile to have this trusty, yet dated camera anymore. The thing is, I have a Nikon 70-210mm zoom lens I purchased a couple of months after I bought the 8008. I have no idea what the mm size of the lens attachment is, first of all (Hadn't done any photog for the last decade, but have started up again). Here's a picture and description of the same lens (not mine though...mine has never been used):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...bayphotohosting

My question is, which adapter(s) do I need in order to use this lens with my Panasonic Lumix Z20? What is the mm width of the 70-210mm F4? Why is it impossible to google this info anywhere? Can I use a Canon autofocus lens on any other camera? Or can I not use it at all? It's an excellent lens, but if I can't use it, or if I have to jump through hoops to get it to work via step down adapters or whatever, I guess I'll sell it. Could someone more knowledgeable than I (which is just about EVERYONE on this board!) help?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help...

Jake Conner
11-12-2004, 06:20 PM
You cannot use this lens directly on your FZ20, as it is a prime lens and the FZ20's prime lens does not come off. It is possible to convert a telephoto lens into a spotting scope, and from there into a conversion lens via a digital adapter eyepiece, but this is quite a project and I'm not sure if anyone makes a digital adapter eyepiece big enough for the FZ20. Your best bet is probably to sell it with the 8008.

Jake