PDA

View Full Version : New *ist DL owner needs advice

Bowenp
06-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Folks:

Bit the bullet and bought a *ist DL camera kit tonight. Was planning on awaiting the K1000, but could not pass on the circuit city price of 483 with 1 year free financing. I hope as I grow with its use I don't regret going cheaper. My questions:

1) Bought a ScanDisk Ultra II 1 GB for 69.00, but it looks form other threads a less expensive card would do just fine. What’s your opinion?

2) What rechargeable battery set-up are people the happiest with and where should I buy the CR-V3.

3) Notice that a pc darkroom is where we are heading what software package should I get and what graphics card should I use.

4) Last what about filters and other lenses. Anyone love any particular lens, filter system especially since the kit lens only stops to 3.5.

Thanks

WightWalker
06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Folks:

Bit the bullet and bought a *ist DL camera kit tonight. Was planning on awaiting the K1000, but could not pass on the circuit city price of 483 with 1 year free financing. I hope as I grow with its use I don't regret going cheaper. My questions:

1) Bought a ScanDisk Ultra II 1 GB for 69.00, but it looks form other threads a less expensive card would do just fine. What’s your opinion?
I personally, didn't see any noticeable improvement with the x66 SD Card that I bought over standard speed cards.

2) What rechargeable battery set-up are people the happiest with and where should I buy the CR-V3.

I'm happily using AA Ni-Hi 2300 mA/hr batteries; these can provide in excess of 500 shots when used on a daily basis.

3) Notice that a pc darkroom is where we are heading what software package should I get and what graphics card should I use.

Adobe Photoshop has got to be the best, but is pricey. As for graphics card, I wouldn't have thought it would make much diffrerence. IMHO, high performance graphics cards are for 'gamers'.

4) Last what about filters and other lenses. Anyone love any particular lens, filter system especially since the kit lens only stops to 3.5.

I don't see the need to amass a large collection of lens; after all only one can be used at a time. The Pentax 50-200mm DA lens is good additional lens to purchase on top of the 18-55mm kit lens.

Prime lens i.e. non zoom will provide superior performance.

Wide range zooms i.e. Sigma/Tamron 18-200mm lens will not match the performance of Pentax 18-55/50-200mm lens.

Always use a UV filter to protect the lens. I've tried the new Hoya digital filter & whilst it does appear to reduce flare, I don't think that it's worth the higher price over conventional multi-coated folters.

jeisner
06-21-2006, 03:47 AM

Won't make a huge difference IME..

For fastest AF CR-V3 makes a difference, otherwise use NIMH rechargeables...

Bibble is my favourite, video card is not a huge issue at all, most cards these days are WAY overpowered for anything but cutting edge games.

I like the Pentax 35mm f2.0, but maybe mostly as it is my most recent purchase LOL

Bowenp
06-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks again - hard to know what to belive from sales reps