PDA

View Full Version : Canon S410 vs. other P&S with manual controls?

Skics
07-02-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm looking to buy a small camera that I can use when I go back to school in the fall. I like playing around with photography (experience with both digital and film SLRs) so I'd like a camera that has some manual controls (particularly long shutter or bulb). I particularly enjoy taking nightshots and night time cityscapes so I'd like a camera that has as low noise as possible while remaining sharp -I realize this is a difficult requirement without getting into a DSLR (which I will eventually buy). The S410 seems to take a decent nightshot but the low sensitivity ISO shot in the review on this site seems to be underexposed so I don't know for sure. Is there another camera that would be worth looking into? The ELPH form factor is about the right size, whereas the S60 seems a bit large. I'd get a Digital Rebel or a D70 but I just wouldn't end up taking many pictures with it while I am at school because I would never carry something that big with me.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Nick
07-02-2004, 02:31 PM
The ISO doesn't look as smooth as the 410's, although that does look a bit underexposed, but have you considered/looked at the Sony V1?

Skics
07-03-2004, 11:21 PM
At your recommendation I have read the review of the V1. I'll have to admit I have a strong bias against anything Sony -having had the unfortunate experience of dealing with Sony customer service due to problems with some HT equipment I'd rather not do business with them again. My thoughts on the camera are that it seems a bit thick and bulky -at least in comparison to the S410. Any other recommendations would be great, I appreciate the reply Nick.