PDA

View Full Version : Low light ballet recital???

Franko515
06-16-2006, 12:58 AM
I have a canon S3 IS and my daughter has a ballet recital saturday. I went to the dress rehersal and snapped some test shots and it was too dark for my camera without a flash :( (was in the first row and didnt wanna distract the girls, they are only 4yrs old so they had hard enough time tryin to remember the moves) I took the iso to 400 (grainy) F/3.5 (still not bright enough), 1/10th (couldnt stop blurr :( , most shots had it ) I took one with the flash just to see and it made the picture yellowish :confused: Below i have posted my results the last being with flash. Any help is welcome

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Franko515/IMG_0324.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Franko515/IMG_0325.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Franko515/IMG_0326.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Franko515/IMG_0320.jpg

I dont like how any of the shots turned out and I'm hoping to get some tips before saturday

Thanks in advance
Franko

Wanting that 30D more and more (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20742)

timmciglobal
06-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Thats the problem with relativly low ISO shooting, just not enough light.

Not much you can do, move closer and use flash maybe?

Tim

Franko515
06-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Thats the problem with relativly low ISO shooting, just not enough light.

Not much you can do, move closer and use flash maybe?

Tim

I was already in the first row and the last shot i posted was with a flash and it has a yelowish tint. Well i guess I will do the best that I can and lust after the 30D that much more :o

Thanks for the reply Tim

timmciglobal
06-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Whats your white balance set to?

That might be one issue, might be flash isn't strong enough and your getting partial effect and the light cast is from the stage lights...

Tim

AlexMonro
06-16-2006, 02:27 AM
The yellow tint is probably due to the camera setting white balance assuming the bluish flash, but the shot getting a lot of light from the tungsten stage lights. Nothing a bit of post-processing colour balance can't fix.

However, as Tim says, the big problem is lack of light. You could try going to ISO 800 (which I believe is the max on the S3) and use Noise Ninja to deal with the noise, but you'll probably loose some detail in the dresses, and only gain a stop anyway.

Some other compact / ultrazooms are a bit more sensitive - some Fuji models go to ISO 1600, but you probably don't want to trade in a brand new camera just for one shoot.:eek:

Franko515
06-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Whats your white balance set to?

That might be one issue, might be flash isn't strong enough and your getting partial effect and the light cast is from the stage lights...

Tim

White balance was set to auto (not exactly sure how to use white balance so i just keep it on auto :o ) Should i adjust the white balance when using a flash?

The yellow tint is probably due to the camera setting white balance assuming the bluish flash, but the shot getting a lot of light from the tungsten stage lights. Nothing a bit of post-processing colour balance can't fix.

So i guess it would be better to have my camera set to tungsten and no flash?

Thanks for the comments :D

Norm in Fujino
06-16-2006, 03:02 AM
As others have said, the problem is simply too little light. If you had time, I would suggest more practice using ISO 800 and a noise reduction program (Neatimage, Noiseware, or Noise Ninja) to see whether you can live with the results (depends on how you're planning on using the photographs).
Unfortunately, the S3 IS doesn't have RAW capability, so you can't get much more out of the dynamic range than what JPEG has. I would try setting the camera for ISO 800, shutter priority at 1/50 or 1/60, and see if the camera says you have enough light. Try to catch the girls when they're not moving (yeah, right ;) ). And use a tripod/monopod.

The yellow light is pretty obviously a color balance problem. When you set your camera for flash, the camera assumed that the scene would be illuminated by high-temperature (bluish) light from the flash, but at the distance involved, the flash wasn't powerful enough to overcome the tungsten stage lights, thus producing the yellow color. The only way to (perhaps) cure that is to set the WB manually for a temperature range somewhere between incandescent and flash range (3500-??) then take some practice shots and check the results on your LCD; adjust as necessary.

Good luck. I know how important these things are; my daughter started ballet at 4, and finally quit professional lessons this last year (17); she's now trying some drama and other kinds of dance.

Franko515
06-16-2006, 03:16 AM
I went out and did some test shots at iso 800 and use a noise reduction program and I lose too much detail :( Unfortunatley the S3 IS isnt good for low lighting (still a great camera) I guess I will just go with the iso400 f/3.5 and maybe a 1/30-1/50 shutter speed and try to lighten the image a bit. I will have to learn to live with the limitations of my P&S until I get a 30D :(
One more shot from today
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Franko515/IMG_0321.jpg

Thanks again for the help :)

Phill D
06-16-2006, 12:13 PM
I have the same problem with my FZ20 - it looks like everyone has said it all really only thing I would add is take lots of shots at loads of different conditions & don't be afraid to go to slower speeds occasionally to get the exposure you want, you might just catch the point when the girls are still. Also at slow speeds if the key bit you want is OK other parts being blurred can give a nice effect of motion. Good luck it's not easy. Hope you get some shots you are happy to post.

wutske
06-16-2006, 02:25 PM
The pictures aren't lost because they are dark. I gave it a quick try and by using 2 layer, GIMP's 'auto white balance' and some adjustments on the levels gave a rather good result (tough maybe a bit noisy, but using slight noise reduction on the original image might yield better results than I tried)