PDA

View Full Version : Is there a maximum memory capacity?

Luke
11-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Hey Guys,

First post here but long time lurker/researcher!

Having bought my Coolpix 3700 a while ago I am looking at purchasing some more SD memory. My question that I have been unable to find the answer to is this. Is there a maximum capacity SD card for a camera? For instance I have 256M and am looking at buying 512M or even 1G but will it work, is there a limit to a camera's forward memory capacity ability?

Thanks in advance!

John_Reed
11-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Hey Guys,

First post here but long time lurker/researcher!

Having bought my Coolpix 3700 a while ago I am looking at purchasing some more SD memory. My question that I have been unable to find the answer to is this. Is there a maximum capacity SD card for a camera? For instance I have 256M and am looking at buying 512M or even 1G but will it work, is there a limit to a camera's forward memory capacity ability?

Thanks in advance!I'd pose this question to Nikon tech support, if I were you. There can be hidden limitations that the rest of us don't know about. Just a quick example: I was using a 256MB CF card with my Nikon 4500, and couldn't get their MC-EU1 remote to work correctly. I called Nikon tech support, and they said they really weren't supporting such large memory cards, even though it worked fine just for recording and downloading photos. I swapped to a 128MB card, and the remote then worked just fine! Go figure. :o

Luke
11-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Good answer that silly me hadn't thought of yet!
Searched around most places other than the source!

I have submitted my question to them and will hopefully update this thread with my response shortly.

Thanks John.

Regards

Luke

Luke
11-11-2004, 07:47 PM
These were the quick responses that I received from Nikon.

Hello Luke

I cannot see why you could not use a larger card the camera is capable of handling the size so that should not be an issue. As I stated in my previous email as seen on the website larger cards can be used but we cannot guarantee their operation. As long as you have at least one appoved card for troubleshooting purposes you can go ahead and purchase a larger card. Since it can handle cards that have been tested and approved up to 512mb there is no reason to beleive larger cards would not work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Nikon has tested the following cards and approved their use in the Coolpix 3700:

SD memory cards:
SanDisk 16/32/64/128/256MB
Panasonic 16/32/64/128/256/512
Toshiba 16/32/64/128/256MB
Nikon/Lexar 16MB

Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot guarantee their operation. Check with the manufacturer of the third-party card for compatibility information. Nikon recommends keeping one of the approved cards available for troubleshooting.

Multi Media cards (MMC) are not recommended and should not be used.

Thanks for using Nikon products!