PDA

View Full Version : norwichpaul

norwichpaul
06-14-2006, 02:41 AM
Hi, I have a 4-year old Sony cybershot F717. Recently while recording a rock band and standing close to the loudspeakers, I noticed that the image through the LCD was becoming blurred and distorted. By moving away from the noise source the problem went away. That was a few weeks ago but now the camera will not focus at all and the image is completely blurred (like before) - its now unusable. It will show good (old) images saved on the memory stick and everything else works fine but it will not allow me to take new pics (due to this distortion). I assume therefore that the camera is now scrap. Is this the case? Thanks.

norwichpaul
06-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Further to the previous entry by me, it appears that the camera's CDC has failed. A problem which Sony is fully aware of with this type of camera that were manufactured between certain dates. Therefore they will fix the problem gratis. All I have to do is send to to the Sony rapair centre at Thatcham (UK). Will update you when I get it back (hopefully fully serviceable - but I am holding my breath).

jbl4750
06-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Just how close to the speakers where you, as the amount of unsheilded magnetic material in a concert speaker system could damage your camera, I have seen fluxing problems on monitors & many other problems with electronic devices from magnets

norwichpaul
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
I was between one and two feet away (being pushed by a large crowd) from a bank of large speakers. The noise was slightly chest hurting and the camera was on 'record' . Thinking back I had noticed this first about a month or two before this particular concert at the same venue and the same band. I assume therefore, that what you have said about powerful magnets etc could well have been a contributing factor. Thanks very much I shall avoid recording rock bands from now on (have not got the camera back yet though).

norwichpaul
07-02-2006, 02:19 AM
After 7 working days I received the camera back from Sony. It now works perfectly having had a new chip fitted. The cost was just 5 recorded postage (to send the camera to Sony and this was optional by me). Obviously I am really pleased with the outcome, Sony oftens gets a lot of bad press about poor after sales service but on this occasion the company has been first class. I am now considering buying the DSC R1 off Amazon for 517 (another really good company). The only draw back of this camera as I see it, is the lack of being able to record video - but I can live with that.

norwichpaul
07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
I have just received my new R1 from Amazon, which took 2 days to arrive. Boy is this a mother of a camera, it makes the F717 look like a toy, both in size and weight. First impressions however, is that its really quite good (only had it a few hours). It didn't like one of the memory sticks that I had been using in the F717 (odd because it had worked fine), but I cleaned the metal contacts (on the stick) with a knife and it now works fine. I like the larger screen and the large format menu because my eyesight is not what it used to be and I always had a problem with the F717. I also like the fact that it will take Compact Flash (CF) too so I have ordered some (they are cheaper to buy than memorary stick).

norwichpaul
09-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Since buying the R1, I have not done much photography except for one stint in London photographing large buildings in the city for my work (which is the reason why I bought the camera in the first place). Whillst the wide-angle lens performed well, I was a bit disapointed with the problem of shadows - it was a sunny day and with the sun illuminating the top half of a building the bottom half remained in shadow which was exagerated by the camera despite my feeble attempt to compensate. I guess this is a problem of digital cameras in general and not isolated to the R1. However I would be very interested in learning of your methods of dealing with this problem.

Cheers,

Norwichpaul

Sintares
09-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Might want to post to the correct Sony forum as this is the Sony dslr forum.

Many hundreds of thousands of people have Sony digital cameras versus the relative few that have Sony dslrs, thus you may get more response in the forum that more people visit.