PDA

View Full Version : SLR tips and lense advice (10d + sigma 18-125)

tarfearauko
11-06-2004, 03:07 PM
I finally got my way down to NY before departing back home to Spain. I bought the 10d plus that piece of glass Rhys or George (I do not recall exactly) warmly suggested in several posts.

I used to take my g6 and walk up the learning curve slowly and I found myself ready to increase the slope a bit (at least I wanted to learn more with the "real thing").

I would love, you dSLR proficient guys, giving me some tips or advise in the strong points or the weak points of the sigma lenses since I do not have anything to compare against.

Also, is it really necesary a filter?? I usually cover my lenses as soon as got the shot.

Regarding that issue Jeff mentioned wiht the new sony (I mean the difraction at very small apertures). Does it hold with dSLR either? If a positive answer applies. Which would be your smallest aperture of choice for landscapes to avoid softness/blurryness due to difraction? which would it be for avoiding purple fringing at night shots?

Any further comment/tip will be appreciated.

Thanks everybody collaborating in this great forum!

D70FAN
11-06-2004, 07:23 PM
I finally got my way down to NY before departing back home to Spain. I bought the 10d plus that piece of glass Rhys or George (I do not recall exactly) warmly suggested in several posts.

I used to take my g6 and walk up the learning curve slowly and I found myself ready to increase the slope a bit (at least I wanted to learn more with the "real thing").

I would love, you dSLR proficient guys, giving me some tips or advise in the strong points or the weak points of the sigma lenses since I do not have anything to compare against.

Also, is it really necesary a filter?? I usually cover my lenses as soon as got the shot.

Regarding that issue Jeff mentioned wiht the new sony (I mean the difraction at very small apertures). Does it hold with dSLR either? If a positive answer applies. Which would be your smallest aperture of choice for landscapes to avoid softness/blurryness due to difraction? which would it be for avoiding purple fringing at night shots?

Any further comment/tip will be appreciated.

Thanks everybody collaborating in this great forum!

Congratulations. I wouldn't worry about the same problems that hound all-in-ones. Purple fringing has not been a problem using the Sigma 18-125 (or Nikkor 18-70) lens.

Inuse everything from f1.8 (on my 50mm fixed focus lens) to the smallest available on a given lens (usually ~f22). Most lenses have a sweet-spot in the f5.6 to f14 area, so unless I'm shooting for effect (high DOF or portrait) I stay in that area with the Sigma lens.

Experiment, and you will quickly be able to evaluate the lens/camera combination.

tarfearauko
11-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks George,

That was defenitely a good piece of advice. Since I have already done the whole investment, damned!, I will be experiencing a lot! (digital photo is so cheap once you get the equipment ;) )

I was just kind of disapointed because I bought the camera and shot tons of pictures in my two days in NY, many of them came out somehow soft/blurry, but I is quite likely that is was my fault, I still do not know exactly which is the slowest shutter speed that my hands can keep still :rolleyes: but I will figure out in a couple of days... that's what 1Gb CF is worth!

Thanks so much

Sure I will never go back ;)

timmciglobal
11-07-2004, 10:46 AM
In my experience every sigma lens I've used has been pretty soft. I don't know if that's why some of your pictures were soft, but I didn't like how the sigma I used shot.

Tim

D70FAN
11-07-2004, 09:08 PM
In my experience every sigma lens I've used has been pretty soft. I don't know if that's why some of your pictures were soft, but I didn't like how the sigma I used shot.

Tim

I don't seem to be having that problem with the 18-125. Here are a few for reference:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044/1/8652963

Admittedly they are primarily in the sweet spot, but then that's true with most zoom lenses.

wishbone
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Nice shots, by the way. The camera, lense, and photographer look to be a good match!

D70FAN
11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Nice shots, by the way. The camera, lense, and photographer look to be a good match!

Just some "walking down the road" shots. I get tired of shooting the same old stuff, so it's nice just to shoot what you see while walking around.

I hope this gives some examples of what the Sigma can do.

Thanks.

tarfearauko
11-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi guys!

Thanks so much for this nice discussion. I eventually played a bit with the custom features and set sharpness to +2, man, the pictures loocked a whole lot better with this settings. The overall results I get know are pretty nice so I am quite happy with the purchase.

See you!

George: Dammed good pictures you have in smugsmug!

D70FAN
11-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Hi guys!

Thanks so much for this nice discussion. I eventually played a bit with the custom features and set sharpness to +2, man, the pictures loocked a whole lot better with this settings. The overall results I get know are pretty nice so I am quite happy with the purchase.

See you!

George: Dammed good pictures you have in smugsmug!

That's what that shrpness control feature is there for. Glad you found it.

Thanks for the kind words.