View Full Version : help! canon a540

06-13-2006, 10:38 AM
i bought the a540 a few weeks back. the day after i bought it, i noticed the shutter stuck, and many pictures hadnt turned out. i called ritz camera and they said they would swap it right out, no problem.
well, the new one does it too, and my sister dropped my camera :mad: and now it does it worse!
any suggestions, or am i gonna have to return this camera too?

David Metsky
06-13-2006, 01:46 PM
What do you mean "the shutter stuck"? Are you describing shutter lag, the delay between pressing the button and the picture taking? Or something else?

After dropping the camera, if it shows signs of the trauma you may have a difficult time returning it.

06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
ok, i guess i didn't use the right words there, sorry-

you know the little black thingy that slides open and closed over the lens?

well, that sticks every time you turn the camera on. if you're looking thru the viewfinder, you don't realize it til you go back and review the pics, and theres a diagonal strip that you can see the pictures, but the opposite corners are black from the thing in the way. if i tap it, it will open, but thats really inconvenient....

does that make sense at all?

my dad says dropping the camera didn't have an effect on the closing of the lens cap thingy. (sorry cant think of what to call it)

i attached a pic i just took with my (junky) camera phone

David Metsky
06-13-2006, 04:38 PM
That's the lens cover, not the shutter.

Since it was doing that before you dropped it, it didn't cause the problem. But the store may not know that. Still, since you had one do this before they probably trust you. I haven't heard of this problem before. The only thing I can think of is bad batteries, but you say the camera works once you tap it, so that's not likely to be it either.

I have no idea how you got two cameras with the same rare problem.

06-13-2006, 06:15 PM
I had the identical problem with the first A520 I had. The camera was only about a month old when the problem developed. I found that I could correct it by (gently) tapping the side of the lens barrel with a fingertip. However, I returned it to the store and got a different camera. This one is now six months old and has been working fine. I think this is a fairly common problem. When I was first shopping for the camera, the display model that was in the store had the same problem. I could fix this one also with the finger tap. I didn't think too much of it, however, because I figured that the camera, being a display model, was probably abused by everyone who came by and played with it. After I got my replacement camera, I have noticed the same problem on A520's and A510's that I have seen in various stores. It is probably a weak point in the design, but like I said, my second camera has been fine so far. It could be a bad lot of parts--sometimes manufacturers get some parts that for some reason are slightly different than other lots, and these can cause problems. The serial numbers of my two 520's are drastically different, which tells me that they were probably not produced at the same time. I'm hoping that this second one will continue to be OK.

12-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi, I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer in connection with my recent purchase of a Canon A540.

I was able to download photos to my computer easily, following the directions in the manuals. However, when I try to download a movie using the same procedure, an error message results: "An error occurred during picture transfer." The manual isn't much help. It tells how to download photos but doesn't mention downloading movies at all.

Also, I attached some "sound memos" to photos. I expected when I viewed a sequence of photos on the lcd screen, as I went to each successive photo, the sound memo would play; it didn't. The manuals don't explain what the purpose of the memos might be or how to use them (???).

In my opinion these manuals aren't written very clearly in many areas.

Please help. Thanks.

Tony Simms, Edison, NJ

Canon PowerShot A540
01-09-2007, 03:56 PM
To Get The Photos And Movies Off My Canon A540's Memory Card I Just Go To My Computer Then To The Memory Card And Copy Everything Out Of The Card And Paste It To My Desktop And I've Never Had Any Problems Try That And Tell Me If It Works For You.;)