PDA

View Full Version : shutter speeds

Alex Brown
06-07-2006, 07:49 PM
This is my first forum letter. Not sure what to do so here goes.
I have a Sony f828 and I can't seem to get the shutter speed right.
All of my images seem blurry. I've tried every combination and the manual
is very limited on info. Does anyone know how to answer this question?
Alex

kgosden
06-07-2006, 10:01 PM
How brightly lit are your subjects? If all your shots are indoors without flash it might be a bit too dark to get a proper exposure and no blur.

DonSchap
06-07-2006, 10:52 PM
may be a "Shutter-sync" setting for the flash. If it is under 1/125th... you stand a good chance of 'subject blur', if the subject moves.

Just tell them, "Sit still, for goodness sake! I'm tryin' to take a picture, here."

If they are sitting still... you are probably pressing the shutter release too hard and forcing the camera to move during the exposure. This can be reduced with "Anti-shake" in the newer digitals, but for those cameras without this option, just lighten up a bit... reduce your angst about the shot... the camera isn't going anywhere. A tender pressure... until it goes off. Like pulling the trigger on your favorite sidearm... easy does it... and bullseye! :eek: If you jerk it back... you will miss.

Go ahead, now... GET THE SHOT! ;)

JLV
06-08-2006, 05:47 AM
You may need to press the shutter button half way, stop, then press the rest of the way. The camera needs a little time to set the shutter, aperture, focus, etc.

Norm in Fujino
06-08-2006, 06:43 AM
How about posting some of your problematic images, and tell us what you were doing when you took them. That would help a lot.

Alex Brown
06-08-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm impressed with this site. Thanks to the responders. I guess I'm expecting too much. I do get some great shots but I thought this camera's shutter speed should shut fast enough to get every shot. I see some newspaper guys shoot indoors with smaller camera's and get everything sharp. I guess I'll ask the folks to freeze for me and shoot automatic.
I own a magazine and do good in strong light but lacked in indoor shooting. I know a woman with the same camera who shoots a flash with an arm attachment who does great bouncing light off the ceiling.
Thanks to all,
Alex Brown
PS. I tried to show a good shot vs. the bad shots that I get often but it wouldn't let me attach the pic's.

DonSchap
06-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Chances are that the size of the jpgs you are trying to attach are "too big". They need to be reduced to less than 234.4 KB before the site will accept them. Much less for other types, like BMPs and GIFs.

Find a reducing software (some type of common "digital photo manipulation software" should have been included with your camera) and then you should be able to submit these.

Good luck :D

Alex Brown
06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks again for your great responses.
I'd like to attach a good shot v.s. a fuzzy shot of which I get
too many of. I'd be curious to know some proper settings with the shutter speed and aperature. I'm aware of good light and know a little about lighting. I didn't realize
that it was so sensitive. I've seen newspaper guys shoot great indoor shots with no issues.
I know it's the shutter speed not shutting fast enough. When I raise the shutter speed, the light gets darker. So I have to adjust the aperature to offest it. Is it my camera? Does it have a fast enough shutter speed? Sony f828. I've attached some shots.

DonSchap
06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
a difficult way to take pictures, for one thing. 'Reverse-lighting' is where the light source is behind the subject. It tends to wash out the exposure in such a way as to create a silhouette-effect... making it darn difficult for the camera to find a focus point and confuses the camera into making improper exposure decisions. Manual override of exposure is fine, but you will have to manually focus, also... as AF is almost useless on black or shadowy objects. There is just no contrast on the subject to effectively use. The camera is a light manipulation device. It needs light to make its decisions on... think of doing this type of shot the same as trying to focus down a 'black hole'. The camera goes to infinity focus... and thinks that's what you want.

By using a pre-flash, you can create an artificial focus point, lighting the subject momentarily and providing metering information for the strength of the flash (duration and intensity)... which the camera will determine. Autofocus also will have a chance to lock on this point, as long as you do not let the shutter button go back up. If your digital does not have pre-flash... this is a dicey shot. 'Indoor lighting' usually stands no chance against the mighty sun.

:D The best way to snap this shot is to have that bright window BEHIND you... and lighting the subject. Don't fight the sun... but use it. If you do, there should be plenty of contrasting points on the subject for the Autofocus to select and make its decisions on.

Try it... but quit shooting into the sun... your confusing the heck out of the poor camera and probably never have a decent picture to show for it.

Good luck.

Alex Brown
06-08-2006, 03:35 PM
I have a friend who uses an attached flash on a bar that also attaches and then she bounces off the ceiling. She always gets great indoor shots.
Are there any good sites to shop for this type of equipment?

DonSchap
06-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, not Ghostbusters... of course, but

Call Alpine Camera, ask for "Chuck" or "Bill". They may have some insight on some equipment to help you.

email: alpinecamera@ameritech.net

Phone: (847) 299-6181

good luck