PDA

View Full Version : DX7440 switch

PLascell
11-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Window shopping for DX7440, it seems the rotating ON/AUTO etc switch is very hard to turn ON even when pushing the latch button. Is this a general problem with this style control or typical of store demo units?

npphotog
11-06-2004, 05:49 AM
Not a problem. Bought mine 3 months ago and haven't found it to be any touble. Better a little stiff than turning on by accident when you put it in your pocket. Yes you can put the 7440 into your pants pocket. I didn't buy a case for it - I use a "Crown Royal" booze bag. Nice and soft.

pgoelz
11-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Based on my observations in several stores and on my own 7440, the switch DOES get very stiff. Mine was nice and loose when new but got quite stiff and hard to turn after a couple weeks. Several 7440s in stores were also stiff. I Emailed Kodak and they implied they were unaware of it and suggested I send it to them for repair. Right.....

From what I can tell, there is insufficient clearance between the wheel and the camera body and as things expand and contract.... and maybe as plastic dust accumulates.... the wheel gets stiff.

What I did was insert a sheet of #400 grit sandpaper between the camera body and the wheel, grit side towards the wheel. I gently sanded around the perimeter of the wheel until I increased the clearance between the wheel and body just enough to free up the wheel again. I then put a micro drop of lube between the body and the wheel and it is now silky smooth at all times. What lube? Something plastic friendly. I used evaporated model airplane fuel (synthetic lube) but I suspect something silicone based would work. Don't use anything petroleum based. If in doubt, don't use anything.

USE CAUTION. YOU CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR CAMERA IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE.

BTW, PLaskell do I know you? I know a Pete Laskell......

Paul Goelz
www.pgoelz.com