PDA

View Full Version : Resizing

snap
06-04-2006, 05:06 PM
How do I resize a picture to make it smaller? I took a macro photo which filled up the frame. I want to have a print made, but the image comes to the edge of the papar at a 4x6 or 5x7 print. (I email my jpegs to have them printed by a printing service.) Using Photoshop, should I reduct the canvas size or reduce the image size? I want to have the print made with more room between the flower petal and the edge of the paper.

D Thompson
06-04-2006, 07:13 PM
How do I resize a picture to make it smaller? I took a macro photo which filled up the frame. I want to have a print made, but the image comes to the edge of the papar at a 4x6 or 5x7 print. (I email my jpegs to have them printed by a printing service.) Using Photoshop, should I reduct the canvas size or reduce the image size? I want to have the print made with more room between the flower petal and the edge of the paper.
It will depend on the final print size and current size. Lets say you want the print to end up at 4x6 & it currently fills a 4x6. You would have to reduce the image size by lets say 1/2 inch. After that, then you would have to do a canvas size and make it 4x6. That would give you a 4x6 print with a white border. On the other hand lets say you want a 4x6 and the current image size is 3.5x5. Then just do a canvas size to 4x6. Hope this helps.

snap
06-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks much, Dennis. That is very helpful.

snap
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Here is a new situation.

I want to get prints with the image size about 2"x2". I am using pictures of family members to make a collage. I could not figure out how to resize to get the image this small, so I inserted the jpegs into Word and resized them. This allows me to get quite a few photos per page. Here is the technical question: what is Word doing? Is it downsizing? Is it reducing the number of pixels? By this method I can accomplish what I want to do, but in addition, I am curious about what is happening technically.