PDA

View Full Version : Processing images

ladywolf
11-05-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm being hit with requests for some paying photo shoots and have been running my proofs at WalMart. Originally I was handing over jpegs but you lose too much money: I'm sticking with selling prints. With WalMart you get the usual gamut of prints; some being improperly cut (even though you cropped them accurately) to strings pictures with heavy magenta. Obviously you need to fine tune each picture for a finished portrait, but I'm leery of using substandard photo finishing and wonder if any of you have found a good online source to upload for processing or can you recommend another chain? It seems that even when I direct the processors at WM to improve a particular shot, while some come back very nice, many are very grainy in spite of my 8mp camera. These same images viewed on the laptop are as crisp as can be. I know there are high end labs that deal with medium format, etc, but I'm also seeking convenience.

Just wondering what most of you do.

D70FAN
11-05-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm being hit with requests for some paying photo shoots and have been running my proofs at WalMart. Originally I was handing over jpegs but you lose too much money: I'm sticking with selling prints. With WalMart you get the usual gamut of prints; some being improperly cut (even though you cropped them accurately) to strings pictures with heavy magenta. Obviously you need to fine tune each picture for a finished portrait, but I'm leery of using substandard photo finishing and wonder if any of you have found a good online source to upload for processing or can you recommend another chain? It seems that even when I direct the processors at WM to improve a particular shot, while some come back very nice, many are very grainy in spite of my 8mp camera. These same images viewed on the laptop are as crisp as can be. I know there are high end labs that deal with medium format, etc, but I'm also seeking convenience.

Just wondering what most of you do.

For small prints (4x6 or 5x7) the photo kiosks work pretty well. Maybe you just need to change stores.

That said, I have had very good results from Ofoto. I only use a lab if I'm playing with film, or need some specific finish that I can't get from my Epsons.

You might want to invest in a low cost photo printer from Canon, Epson, or HP. I see Fry's Electronics has an Epson 925 for $39.99 (limited supply).

Billiam
11-05-2004, 05:07 PM
The prints I've gotten from Costco have looked pretty good.

judge9847
11-06-2004, 09:25 AM
For small prints (4x6 or 5x7) the photo kiosks work pretty well.
Perhaps this is slightly off-thread but I have a question about printing digital images at one of these sorts of stores.

I was asked recently why it was that the 6x4 images - 6 inches on the horizontal that is - that were produced by one of these stores, managed to cut off the top and/or the bottom of the image from a digital camera.

My reply was that I wasn't surprised because the 6x4 print is in the ratio of 3:2 whereas the digital image was more than likely (HDTV type stuff apart) going to be in the ratio 4:3. For instance, 1024x768 or 640x480 pixels are all in the ratio of 4:3.

So I reasoned that printing such an image (4:3) on a machine that was meant to deliver photographs in a 3:2 ratio was bound to cause at least some problems.

I also said I wouldn't use 6x4 because 7x5, whilst not exactly 4:3, is almost as good as.

I'm sure I'm right but I'm looking for confirmation of my thought processes, or otherwise of course.

Finally, does anyone know if these machines are capable of dealing with the images directly out of the camera - in terms of their size that is. Can they be adjusted "on the fly" to print something in the ratio of 4:3 or is it all pre-fixed?

By the way, the guy at the shop apparently said the thing to do was to buy a camera that produced images in the 3:2 ratio!! At least it's an inventive solution ...