PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me the diffrence between HQ & SHQ?

kaykay
11-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Which one do you typically shoot in?

misterMe
11-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Shoot HQ if you are going to reduce the images at all. If you are not going to reduce the image and want the most clear, high res. image use SHQ.
Cheers.
Tim

D70FAN
11-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Which one do you typically shoot in?

Always shoot at the highest resolution and JPEG quality (SHQ). Is there a difference? Probably but not until you are printing larger formats. You can always reduce quality, but it's difficult to add it.

And... memory is cheap ;)

kaykay
11-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks, also on my camera on the menu where you select SHQ there are 3 options: SHQ-2592x1944, SHQ-[3:2]2592x1728 & SHQ-Enlarge size 3264x2448
I'm confused at which one to select, not sure what affect each one has on the printed photo's. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm very new at all this. Thanks

John_Reed
11-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks, also on my camera on the menu where you select SHQ there are 3 options: SHQ-2592x1944, SHQ-[3:2]2592x1728 & SHQ-Enlarge size 3264x2448
I'm confused at which one to select, not sure what affect each one has on the printed photo's. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm very new at all this. ThanksDon't think your question is "dumb," OK? :) Have you ever stood really close to your TV set and looked at the picture on the screen? If you get close enough, you see a bunch of little Red, Green, and Blue dots; if you start moving back, pretty soon the dots begin to merge and you don't see the individual ones anymore. Likewise, those SHQ choices have to do with "how close you stand in front of the printed picture" before you start seeing the dots on the print. Higher numbers mean the dots are closer together, lower numbers mean they're further apart. So the 3264x2448 image would have more dots than the 2592x1944 image. Most digital cameras collect their "pictures" on a rectangular piece of electronic "film" that has a width to length ratio of 4:3. So if you want a 6x4 inch print, you have to crop off some of the pixels to get to "4 inch" dimension, otherwise your photo would naturally want to print at 6x4.5. The [3:2] version is included so you can shoot 6x4 style prints without any cropping when you go to print. I'd say that any of the formats you choose will easily support printing a large print of almost any size you'd want, up to say 14x11 or even bigger if you like.

kaykay
11-06-2004, 05:43 PM
John, Thanks for helping me to understand! I don't think any one else could have explained it better! So if I want to make Large prints I need to set it on the larger number settings therefore it uses more pixels to give me a clearer picture, but if I just want 4x6 photos will setting it to the larger number make for an even clearer photo when looking at it up close or can you only see the diffrence when making larger prints? Also if I need to do a lot of cropping on the photo would setting it to the largest number help prevent the picture from becoming blurry. Thanks once again :)