PDA

View Full Version : How to take panorama using Sony DSCP100?

janice_2k
11-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Hi members,
I am a newbie in using digital camara. I recently bought a Cybershot DSC P100. As I am going on vacation end of next week, I wonder if I can take panorama of the scenery using my digital camera. How can I do so? I only have the basic accessories when I purchase the camera. Do I need additional accessories?

Any tips of taking better shots especially nite views and nature sceneries?

Can someone please guide me step by step? Looking forward to some replies soon.

Thanks in advance,
Janice

John_Reed
11-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi members,
I am a newbie in using digital camara. I recently bought a Cybershot DSC P100. As I am going on vacation end of next week, I wonder if I can take panorama of the scenery using my digital camera. How can I do so? I only have the basic accessories when I purchase the camera. Do I need additional accessories?

Any tips of taking better shots especially nite views and nature sceneries?

Can someone please guide me step by step? Looking forward to some replies soon.

Thanks in advance,
JaniceJanice, I don't think you'll need to buy any new equipment, but a photo editing program, at least, would be useful. I use a program by ArcSoft called "Panorama Maker" which works very well and is pretty easy to use. But I've also "stitched" together panoramas using Adobe Photoshop.

Basically, the way I shoot panoramas is to stand facing the scene I want to record, and adjust the zoom to be about a "normal" focal length. Wide angle, usually the minimum zoom of any camera, is not good to use, since there's some inherent distortion or warping of the scenery at that end, as well as barrel distortion of the lens. So bump out the zoom a little bit to overcome that problem (I nudge to just under 2X on my FZ10; there's no exact way of setting the zoom factor, but maybe your Sony does allow that?).

Then, start shooting from left to right, holding the camera horizontal all the way through your sweep of the scene. As you take each shot, be sure that you're overlapping some of the scenery from the previous shot. That way, you (or your panorama program) will be able to easily overlay the two images and make a match at each merger of each pair of images.

When you're done, and have downloaded the images to your computer, you'll be able to merge them either using a program like Panorama Maker, or a photo editing program, as I said earlier.

A couple of problem areas: If your subject scene contains moving objects, it'll be tough to match them at image seams. If the contrast or lighting varies as you're sweeping the scene, then each exposure may be at a different brightness level. Panorama Maker can adjust for both focal length and brightness variations when you select "Automatic Camera" as you're starting to make your panorama.

Before you go away on a trip, try some simple panoramas at home just to see if you got the idea. Good luck! :)

janice_2k
11-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi John_Reed,
Thank you for your informative reply. Are there any freewares to do the panorama instead of having to purchase one ;) Anyway, I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again and have a pleasant day.

janice_2k