PDA

View Full Version : Cannon A620 vs Cannon S2IS

tiab86
05-27-2006, 03:56 PM
I am new to this board and these are the two cameras that we are tossing back and forth. If anyone as one of these and could tell me what you like or don't like and which one do you think is the better one?

Thanks, Tammy

Turo
05-27-2006, 05:11 PM
I have an S1 IS (similar to the S2 but a bit of a downgrade). The camera is great, images are nice and sharp, colors are very vibrant (as most Canon cameras are in my experience), and the 12x zoom is great. The image stabilization realy comes in handy, especially at maximum zoom, and the movie quality is absolutely excellent. The only thing I don't like about the camera is the size makes it a bit bulky to carry around in your pocket, but the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Im not familiar between the changes from S1 -> S2, but I know the S2 is 5MP so it should result in better images (since the S1 is only ~3MP). I haven't used an A620 so I can't compare. Hope this helps! :)

sHanzek
05-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Tammy,
I have had the S2IS for about 10 months, and taken 15,000+ photos with it. I love it. 5 days ago I bought an A620 as a backup, and have taken about 700 photos with it. Here's my evaluation of the two head to head:
Resolution goes to the A620, 7 mp vs 5mp. The photos are a bit sharper due to the increased resolution with the A620. But for my uses, the 5 mp is usually more than enough.

The S2IS has a much better zoom lens - 12x vs 4x optical zoom. For outdoor sports I plan to use the S2IS, for indoor sports the shorter zoom lens with the A620 is not as much of a drawback.

The S2IS has image stabilization, which really helps when using the long zoom lens; the A620 does not, but since it's lens is only 4x, I haven't noticed much of a problem. Well, I did find that trying to handhold a shot at 1/8" with the A620 was harder than with the S2IS when trying to copy a poster at school.

The flash on the A620 is smaller and less powerful, and seems to be more likely to cause red-eye.

They both have the handy swivel out screen; the A620 is slightly larger than the S2IS. THe viewfinder on the S2IS is digital, but only optical on the A620.

The A620 has more shooting modes, but I doubt I'll ever come close to using most of them.

A generalization: the S2IS is more versatile, mostly due to the larger zoom lens. But that larger lens required a larger camera, so it won't fit well into a purse or fanny pack. The A620 is relatively compact, and can be carried much more easily. I do a lot of sports photography for my kids school, so when I do that I plan to use the S2IS. But when size is more important, I grab the A620.

They are both fine cameras. I think the major difference will be the zoom lens. The kind of photos you are planning to take will probably make the decision for you.

My background: I've been taking photos since 5th grade, close to 40 years ago. Gone from Minolta to Olympus 35mm SLRs, then to Olympus C2100 (2 mp, 10x zoom), then Olympus C720 (3mp, 10x zoom?), then to the Canon S2IS.

A couple last minute thoughts: the S2IS has a better macro setting - a super macro that will focus to the front of the lens, and the S2IS will record 640x480 30fps stereo video. Not real long periods of time, but it is very handy for 30 second clips. And unlike most digital cameras with video, you can actually use the zoom lens while recording.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Steve
S2IS and A620 owner

bascom
05-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Briefly...

S2 - much more zoom, IS, EVF
A620 - smaller, more MP, optical VF